AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first SS Buckle...Assistance requested.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first SS Buckle...Assistance requested.

Hello Colleagues,

Attached are photos of my first SS Belt Buckle. It is made of Steel. Any assistance in identifying the Maker is very appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael Collins
    Attached Files

Back...

Attached Files

Comment

Angle...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pfalz DIIIa
        Hello Colleagues,

Attached are photos of my first SS Belt Buckle. It is made of Steel. Any assistance in identifying the Maker is very appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael Collins
        Hi Michael,

your SS EM belt buckle is original and made by Overhoff in 1943/45.

Regards

Ric
        Last edited by b.collector; 01-05-2006, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Thank you Ric...

for your clarification! If I may ask, how were you able to determine the manufacturer? It has no markings or date.
          Would you have an example to post? That is, a picture or two to share from your collection?

Your help and observations are most welcome.

Cheers,

Michael Collins

Comment

for your clarification! If I may ask, how were you able to determine the manufacturer? It has no markings or date.
            Would you have an example to post? That is, a picture or two to share from your collection?

Your help and observations are most welcome.

Cheers,

Michael Collins
            Michael,

you may see the same buckle as yours in the below thread.
            Wishing to be correct about production date, by myself the question is open since your buckle has not spot welded catch feet usually found on buckles made in 1943/44/45.
            It will be interesting to know JP's opinion about.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=ss+overhoff

Ric

Comment

I realize that this question was not directed at me, but I think I can provide some insight. Every manufacturer of SS buckles had unique characteristics that are not difficult to recognize once you study the different types. Just as many of the current fakes being offered on the internet at the moment have a very distinctive eagle that is unlike any of those found on original buckles. Once you learn what to look for you will be amazed at how many fakes you can pick out on the net being sold as original. The key is to learn the main points that differentiate one maker's buckle design from another. For me, the first thing I look at is the eagle and the wings. There aren't that many variations really and while it won't make you an instant expert, you will gain the confidence to make purchases that are less likely to be negative. I learned most of what I know about SS buckles from the SS buckle collector's group at Yahoo. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you Infanteer...

your answer was great; and I appreciate your insight and advice. What is your opinion of my Buckle?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers!
                Michael Collins

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer
                  I realize that this question was not directed at me, but I think I can provide some insight. Every manufacturer of SS buckles had unique characteristics that are not difficult to recognize once you study the different types. Just as many of the current fakes being offered on the internet at the moment have a very distinctive eagle that is unlike any of those found on original buckles. Once you learn what to look for you will be amazed at how many fakes you can pick out on the net being sold as original. The key is to learn the main points that differentiate one maker's buckle design from another. For me, the first thing I look at is the eagle and the wings. There aren't that many variations really and while it won't make you an instant expert, you will gain the confidence to make purchases that are less likely to be negative. I learned most of what I know about SS buckles from the SS buckle collector's group at Yahoo. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I've appreciated your insight too.

Regards

Ric

Comment

your answer was great; and I appreciate your insight and advice. What is your opinion of my Buckle?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers!
                    Michael Collins
                    I agree with Ric's assessment that the style of eagle and wreath indicate a buckle manufactured by O&C (Overhoff). The details on the reverse also look good IMO but I will note that the attachment of the catch is different from what I would have expected to see. I would say that it is likely just a variation that I am not familiar with. No big deal. As for date, well, if our assessment that the buckle was made by O&C is correct, we know from experience that they marked their buckles up until late in the war and that is why Ric gave the date as between 1943 and 45. Now if I go and do some research on the net I will probably find an example made the same as yours, and unless someone comes out with evidence to the contrary, you can relax and enjoy your original buckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer
                      I agree with Ric's assessment that the style of eagle and wreath indicate a buckle manufactured by O&C (Overhoff). The details on the reverse also look good IMO but I will note that the attachment of the catch is different from what I would have expected to see. I would say that it is likely just a variation that I am not familiar with. No big deal. As for date, well, if our assessment that the buckle was made by O&C is correct, we know from experience that they marked their buckles up until late in the war and that is why Ric gave the date as between 1943 and 45. Now if I go and do some research on the net I will probably find an example made the same as yours, and unless someone comes out with evidence to the contrary, you can relax and enjoy your original buckle.
                      Hallo,

you came to the point : the brazed catch feet are usually seen in Overhoff buckles 36/42 marked so manufactured in 1942. The buckles made by Overhoff in 1943 up to 1945 have the spot welding catch feet and they are usually unmarked (except for the rare 36/43 and the ultra rare OLC ). So we have two way to decide the manufacture date :
                      by the catch or by the lack of mark, but of course this is my point of view.

Regards

Ric

Comment

It is indeed an Overhoff buckle, and it is indeed based on the 36/42 design. Indeed eagle design tells the Overhoff origin and catch shape the closer reference. Been unmarked dates the manufacture between 1943 and 1945. So, all answers were perfectly correct.

There is many variations in Overhoff catches used between 1942 and the end of the war. There was also different dies used by this maker with some having noticeable differences (especially in their eagle's head). But fortunately all Overhoff steel buckles were fold with the same folding tool. This folding tool left specific marks on the buckles sides. So taking most different unmarked variants one can find and comparing their sides to marked 36/42's and 36/43's will provide the needed evidence. My personnal study involved more than 40 unmarked SS buckles, each with a variation. All had matching folding tool marks.
                        Jean Pierre Redeuilh
                        All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

Tool marks?

Thank you all for your expert observations. I have attached some photos of the top and bottom.

Thank you all.

Cheers,

Michael Colins
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bottom...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Pierre Redeuilh
                              It is indeed an Overhoff buckle, and it is indeed based on the 36/42 design. Indeed eagle design tells the Overhoff origin and catch shape the closer reference. Been unmarked dates the manufacture between 1943 and 1945. So, all answers were perfectly correct.

There is many variations in Overhoff catches used between 1942 and the end of the war. There was also different dies used by this maker with some having noticeable differences (especially in their eagle's head). But fortunately all Overhoff steel buckles were fold with the same folding tool. This folding tool left specific marks on the buckles sides. So taking most different unmarked variants one can find and comparing their sides to marked 36/42's and 36/43's will provide the needed evidence. My personnal study involved more than 40 unmarked SS buckles, each with a variation. All had matching folding tool marks.

Hi Jean Pierre,

many thanks for your comment

Regards

Ric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X