Sd.Kfz. 231 8-Rad & Sd.Kfz. 7/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sd.Kfz. 231 8-Rad & Sd.Kfz. 7/1

Saw these a few months ago at that great military technology museum in Koblenz. Can't recall seeing either vehicle before in person.
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Both look great. Are they in driving condition?

Comment

Lovely vehicles Willi, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

Jon

Comment

The 8 RAD was at Aberdeen long ago.
        I took this in 1970.
        Attached Files
        MLP

Comment

Thanks Mike. I don't think I have any photos of a 231 when I first went to Aberdeen (1973?).

@ Marcel. I don't know if they are in running condition. Nothing was mentioned on the signs and no one was around to ask.
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

vehicles

Hi,

Up to a few years ago, Koblenz was looking for an engine for the 231, they had finished all restoration except for an engine. have they had found one since, I do not know.

This 231 original came to German with APG's Tiger I, both were meant to retrn to APG after restoration. The Tiger I is now back in the USA after a long and twisted route, but unrestored.

The Flak is part original part made up, the chassis is not for a Flak 7/2, so does not have the reinforcements to the carry the extra weight.

cheers lennard

Comment

The sdkfz flak

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                The 8 RAD was at Aberdeen long ago.
                I took this in 1970.
                Talking about Aberdeen

Stood there last year and got told that the tanks are not there anymore...
                The new Museum where the tanks should have been gone to only seems to have a Pz IV on display... Anyone knows, where the other veicles and stuf of Aberdeen went to?

Regards

Comment

To my knowledge they are now in (hopefully covered) storage in Ft. Lee, Virginia awaiting the construction of the new armored museum, which we probably won't see in our lifetime.

Here's a link: http://www.ordmusfound.org/

Don
                  Last edited by DonC; 01-16-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Elephant

Hi,
                    I believe the Elephant recently on show at The Bovington Tank Museum in the UK, has gone back to Fort Mead, USA, maybe it also came rom there, is also an ex-APG vehicle.

Its possible that ex-APG vehicles went to more US Army camps than just Fort Lee and Fort Mead, but which ones ?? anybody know ??

cheers lennard

Comment

A lot of those vehicles went to Ft Benning. I believe the Armor school moved there.They are building a museum. Some are other places. Ft Sill may have some.
                      MLP

Comment

Exhibits

Hi,

Know that Ft Sill had some artillery from APG, beleive they are an artillery school anyway.

Apparently when APG was closed and its exhibits moved, it was found that the ownership of the exhibits was many and varied and spread across all sorts of US Agencies

So apart from spreading ex-APG items amongst various US Army bases, Forts Lee, Benning, Sill, Mead, other items have gone to all sort of places. Doubt very much anybody will see much of these items again, and certainly not in one place.

cheers lennard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X