Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West German Border Guards Pose on Shattered Panzer

Fellow members,

I thought this photo of West German Border Guards (Bundesgrenzschtuz or BGS) posing on a smashed Tank Destroyer would be of interest.

Judging by the uniforms, the photo appears to be dated in the late 1950s. The BGS trained in Northern Germany with their main training center in Luebeck. I would guess that this photo was taken on a firing range on the Northern German Plain.

All the best,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Cool pictuere!
    Maybe IT's the Jagdtpanther which today is in Sinsheim...it original form a Northgerman Range!!

Jens

Comment

I guess sure its the one in the Sinsheim Museum.
      The one in Sinsheim was also getting partly restored.

Comment

Jp

Hi,

The Sinsheim JP was from the Vogelsang training area on the Belgium/German border, and its shot damage is very different to the photo above.

cheers lennard

Comment

To my knowledge the Vogelsang Panter is the one now to be restored as second vehicle by Weald Foundation., it was only szored in Sknsheim for awhile. The JP in the exhibition is from Northerngermany....

Jens

Comment

Jp

Hi,

Both came from Vogelsang, and neither have the same shot damage as the JP photo shown in the first note., both are also ex-REME MNH test vehicles.

cheers lennard

Comment

I wonder if they appreciate the fact that their fathers were in that Panzer???

Comment

Jp

Hi,

You have lost me, what is the relevance of your comment ? do you know it for sure ?

cheers lennard

Comment

Jagdpanther Wreck

Hi
                  The JP wreck schown here is neither the one from Sinsheim nor the one from Vogelsang...its another (range)wreck.

The one from Sinsheim comes from the German "Wendish Evern" targetrange and was "patched" using various Panther G parts that came from the Normandy Trun scrapyard.

The one from the German "Vogelsang" targetrange is now subject to be the next Jagdpanther to be restored by the weald foundation in the UK.

cheers
                  Bullitt

Comment

Jp

Hi Bullit,

Quite right, Sinsheim JP from Wendish-Evern, the next JP restoration by The Weald Foundation was from Vogelsang, and the JP already restored by The Weald Foundation came from the Pirbright ranges in the UK.

All three are ex-British REME test vehicles from MNH, and there is probably a good chance that the JP at the beginning of this thread is also REME, as after testing by the British Army, many JP (and Panthers) were scattred around several German ranges as targets, can anybody tell if its an MNH manufactured vehicle or not ?.

cheers lennard

Comment

Cool photo! I did the same thing (explored the target downrange) on every military range I fired upon in the US, Italy, Britain, or Germany.
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Jp

Hi,

So what did you find ?

cheers lennard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X