Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Operations: Gunner's Scope

Question for the forum,

When combat was not anticipated, did german tanks travel with the drivers periscope gunsight "down" to prevent scratching or damage? Could the scope be lowered?

Thanks.

Carl C

Are you having crossed wires here...........as a "driver" he would not have a "gun sight" per se.

An early vehicle may not actually have a periscope or vision block as such.
    It may have had a vision slit that was open and when danger close an armoured visor was dropped with very small peep holes in it.

Later ones with a vision block/periscope device could change the block from inside if damaged, but would have little in the way to protect the front of the block. Top, rear and side protection to the vision block was normal.

Plus of course, specific vehicles, have specific design features, some had vision "blocks", some had an actual periscope type device, some had both.

The devil is in the detail.

Any specific vehicle type and model you are referring to??

Regards

Comment

Sorry, I meant the gunners gunsight. For example the periscope seem on The Stug or jagdpanther.

Carl
      C

Comment

As I recall the Stug does actually have a rotational cover in the top hull for closing the opening for the periscopic sight. Not sure on the jagdpanther but I don't see why not as it was a more advanced vehicle.

I confess I do not know if the scope was "lowered" or actually dismounted but hopefully greater minds than mine will provide the info.

You could try a Net search for some internal schematics and it may be very obvious on the drawings.

Regards

Comment

The StuG sight does not lower into the AFV. These periscopic sights could be taken off the mount itself. The kit for these included spare periscope attachments (3 total). Obviously, being exposed as they were, they could be damaged. They are a different type of design than panzer telescopes. The gunner in a StuG, only had the sight as a vision device. The commander really was the source of calling out targets etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X