Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Track Link ID Please.

Hi
    I picked up the panzer track link pictured years ago and at the time was told it is from a Panzerkampfwagen IV. However I've since seen some photos of links said to come from IV's that appear quite different.
    Can someone definitely identify it for me?
    Many thanks
    Keith
    Attached Files

There a larger numeber of track link types used on these vehicles.
    According to the very good book "Panzerketten", this one is named Panzer III/IV, typ 7
    Official name: Kgs 61/400/120
    Produced starting 1944.

Comment

This is a Panzer III or IV track.

Comment

I believe there are 7 different models of track links produced for PzKpfw III-IV. This is just a late war one.

Carles

Comment

Thanks for your replies gentlemen. That fits in with what I was told when I bought it many years ago, which was that it came from a Panzer IV of the 17th Panzer Division which was destroyed by Russian forces during their offensive in the Kielce region of Poland, near the village of Polslwice, between January 13- 15th 1945. I was starting to wonder, as lately I'd seen several Panzer IV links offered for sale that were somewhat different to this one. It isn't really my area of collecting, but I always thought the links were interesting and of course there is something special about the panzers so I grabbed it at a time when there didn't seem to be many around.
          Best regards
          Keith

Comment

Please note that this type can't be connected to the other types.
            Which is something weird…

Eric

Comment

weird link

Hi

@ Eric…..small correction ...it does match with the ostketten
              but still its weird why they made a tracklink different from all the other variants.

@ keithric
              so far I've only seen this type of latewar link on Jagdpanzer IV/L70, Zwischenlösung IV/L70 ( as the specimen in Saumur) and on some late Möbelwagen.
              The preserved Wirbelwind in Canada has these links too but I haven't seen any wartime pics of Wirbelwinds having these links.....so it could be a museum modification.

cheers
              Bullitt

Comment

I wish the publisher could be convinced to put out an English translation of 'Panzerketten'. It's a fascinating book, but having to try to read it through Google Translate on my phone isn't a great experience.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X