Panzer Tank Drivers Hanhart Chronograph Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Tank Drivers Hanhart Chronograph Watch

This watch belonged to Herbert Appl of the 5th and 7th Panzer Divs. He was a tank driver who used the watch to time how far the tank had traveled. I know these were mostly used by Luft pilots but I'm showing here for those interested in the history of Panzer soldiers. I have also shown in the Luftwaffe section with more history on this man who lost a leg in combat. The watch looks like it still has some tank grease on it!
    Attached Files

what information ties the watch to the photo ,the piping on the soldiers straps looks white, have to hand it to the german tank grease makers that their product has stayed on a watch for 70+ years

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyds View Post
      what information ties the watch to the photo ,the piping on the soldiers straps looks white, have to hand it to the german tank grease makers that their product has stayed on a watch for 70+ years
      This photo was taken when Herbert Appl first joined before he was assigned to tank duty.

Comment

i dont think a random infantry photo and a German watch makes a panzer group and the info on the Luft section doesnt make sense panzer crews didnt have a choice of what tanks they liked they were told what to drive and the way to find out how far you have traveled was to look at the speedo trip not your watch,you really need evidence to back up a claim like this

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyds View Post
          i dont think a random infantry photo and a German watch makes a panzer group and the info on the Luft section doesnt make sense panzer crews didnt have a choice of what tanks they liked they were told what to drive and the way to find out how far you have traveled was to look at the speedo trip not your watch,you really need evidence to back up a claim like this
          I'm not trying to prove anything, just telling some of the stories I was told about the owner. I have no reason to doubt the stories I was told. They were told to me after I bought the watch. And a copy of the photo was givin to me after I bought the watch. I didn't even know a photo existed until I bought the watch. The person who sold it to me was not selling a story or a grouping. I did look up his name and he did in fact die 5 years ago in the town the watch and photo came from. I didn't say he got to choose the tank he drove. I was told he once had a chance to "drive" a Tiger tank which he didn't like because the tracks were falling off. I tried looking up his service record but I don't read German. perhaps a kind person on WAF can help me out.
          Thanks, Cliff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X