Morris C8 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morris C8 1944

Apologise, but as you can tell its not German, so if it does not interest you, run away now! However the next vehicle will be German but you will have to wait for that.

Morris C8 Truck 1 ton GS Cargo 4x4.

I bought it several years ago and it was supposed to be renovated before I built the panzer hull but I got carried away with the panzer. As the panzer grows in size I need more space in the workshop and as I am not going to Bovington tank museum until late August I have a couple of months to get stuck into the Morris so that I can move it out.

The old girls been sitting there patiently awaiting some attention since last year. The engine is now in peices and i know whats got to be done there, everything. The cylinder head took 2 weeks to remove and eventually gave up and come off without damage, by using a sissor lift type thing and the vehicles weight. I have had the top off of the gearbox and freed up the reverse gear that was stuck and now it all works as it should do. I have now turned my attention to the drivers, passengers compartment, I forgot to take pictures of the driver side before I started but as you can see from the passengers side it needs a lot of work. There are a lot of panels that are in really good condition and only need preparing before spraying, other however, are knackered. Its my intention, to leave as much of the original metal as is sensible and to patch rather than make every new panel but some panels will have to be renewed. I have also made a start getting the brake components, the rear wheel cylinders were easy to get hold of but the fronts are causing some frustration. The rubber brake pipes are on order, the next part to find is a new master cylinder.

Jon
    Attached Files

I have replaced the floor and a couple of other sections on the drivers side, I now have to work my way through each panel. In reality every panel is a project in its own right.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re Morris

Oh Oh.........Johan, you are now officially doomed big fella, they lie in wait..........................watching..........th en suck you in until you are penniless and a broken man.

Your ears will be destroyed by the whine and your back deformed by the total lack of ergonomics.

I know...........for I am that man

Welcome to the Morris fan club by the way
      Attached Files

Comment

tmig,

That is what vintage vehicles do to you but you got to love them. Nice Morris, I really like the camo, what year is it?

Rust, rust and more rust but eventually I have completed both sides of the drivers / front compartment.

Jon
        Attached Files

Comment

Very cool and interesting project. Love to see when it's finished

Comment

Originally posted by johann mor View Post
            tmig,

That is what vintage vehicles do to you but you got to love them. Nice Morris, I really like the camo, what year is it?

Rust, rust and more rust but eventually I have completed both sides of the drivers / front compartment.

Jon
            Hi Jon,

I was lucky when I got her as it was essentially surface spot rust I had to deal with. Couple of small patches etc. My sheet metal and welding skills are childish compared to yours so when the bonnets started to go it was a rescue job by others. Ex Plant Mech from the mob so pulling apart and refurbishment I can do...but actual manufacture is not my forte.

The truck is 37 dated, and had the repro body on the rear when I got it. Post war it was a light pickup apparently. Mostly interested in the North African Campaign
            hence the caunter cammo.
            Lovely work on the panels you've done and I have no doubt she will look cracking on completion. Any ideas on the unit or is it early doors (unless you have existing markings of course)

Regards,

Tim

Comment

To be honest Tim, its a bit early on in the project and paint stripping will be after all the replacement panels have been made and the whole vehicle re-assembled prior to dis assembly for prepping and painting. Then, hopefully I will find some evidence of its past. I have got a copy of its WD key card, so I know its war time and post war identity numbers but unfortunately that's all it tells me. I just hope that there are some markings under the paint. From the work that I have carried out so far, the paint colours appear to start from British olive drab, then sand, then dark green and after that its civilian red and black and finally British post service dark green. I will be painting it scc15 olive drab.

Jon

Comment

Tim.
                Thats a really nice cammo paint job.
                owen

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                  Tim.
                  Thats a really nice cammo paint job.
                  owen
                  Owen,
                  Thanks for that kind comment, it took a little while to do as that scheme would have been hand painted in theatre so that what I did. Had a good schematic to follow, but confess I fell into the early trap of using sky blue.
                  Mike Starmer found the docs I believe with a proper paint code and then found an example that had been covered from view and got a colour match to the old books. Sort of pale greenish called "silver grey" . Stuck another pic on to show how the colour sort of zig zags across the vehicle.

Johan,

I know what you mean about the WD Cards, ive got mine that corresponds with the contract number on the dash data plate, but the best I could do was select a WD No from the range on the card as no evidence existed on the vehicle itself.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tim,

How is the canvas over the drivers / passengers compartment held in place across the bulkhead behind the seats. The picture is not of my vehicle, just one that I found on the net. My bulkhead has no obvious fixing method for the canvas, only a row of self tapping screws, that I assume were used post military life, to hold a metal roof. pictures would be good if you have any.

Jon
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Johan,

Ive got a disk somewhere with detail shots of the canvas, I will try to dig out some pics and organise a mail shot to you.

In the interim if you look at the first pic below you can see two straps left and right of centre inside the cab. The canvas over sails the top edge of the cab externally, but the internal straps are buckled up on footman loops inside the cab.

If you look at my pic 2 you can see an outer strap adjacent to my shoulder, that one simply goes under the tube mounting bracket on the side of the cab and back on itself.

I have not looked to closely at the pattern of truck you have, but would imagine that the rear is essentially the same as mine but I would be wary of commenting on the top canvas as their were a few variations including a circular top hatch as I recall. The pu top cab canvas is fixed over the driver but can be unbuckled and folded back to allow the passenger to stand up (presumably to take compass bearings or use bino,s etc) Comms tunnel behind driver is to speak to folks in the back or pass radio messages if FFW.

Regards

Comment

Hello Tim,

I cant see any pictures, is it me of WAF ?

Mine should have a circular opening above the passengers seat but it was removed at some point in time, so it will be put back at a later date.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by johann mor View Post
                          Hello Tim,

I cant see any pictures, is it me of WAF ?

Mine should have a circular opening above the passengers seat but it was removed at some point in time, so it will be put back at a later date.

Jon
                          Sorry Johan,

That's me not being very clear, I am referencing the two pictures I posted below in the thread, you can see into the cab in the first one at the start of the thread.

Still looking for the disc I refered to, hope ive not lost it as its got loads of reference pics on it.

Regards

Comment

It's been a long time since I posted anything on this project, because of the WAF situation but it is long finished, awaiting winter for me to make the canvas. There are loads of pictures but I thought that I would post the finished article, if there is any interest I can post the restoration pictures too.

Jon
                            Attached Files

Comment

…………………...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X