Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank flare box

Hello Everyone,

One of the guys over at the equipment forums said that maybe I should go ahead and repost this here so I am!

Im looking to find out whether this came from a Tiger I as comparing it to some other examples seen inside a stug III for example vary in size. I got it at an auction probably like 5 years ago and paid I'm sure less than $20. I've never seen one for sale and actually didn't realize what it was other then a flare box until one of the members on the equipment forums pointed it out!

Measurements

L = 16.19 Cm
    W= 10.47 Cm
    H= 14.44 Cm

Many thanks

Brayden

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Brayden,

The dimensions correspond to those of the box in a Tiger I, as near as dammit; (160 x 110 x 145).

I suspect that these are all the same size given that the flares were common, irrespective of the vehicle type; I have measured one at 160 x 105 x 145). If you have evidence of other sizes in other vehicles, please share. I stand corrected as I have just seen the photo of the one in a StuG on the equipment forum! Presumably then, the flares came in different sizes?

Yours is missing the "platform" with the 12 holes of course, but a nice item nevertheless.

Ian
        Last edited by ian alderman; 05-10-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hello Ian,

I would have to agree with you, Im pretty sure all the flares were the same size thus the boxes would be too but I'm lacking a bit of knowledge in this area to really say so. How rare are these boxes? Ive never seen any sell before so I wouldnt have a clue. As to the "platform" or "rack" would it be possible to find one and make this one i guess you could say complete?

Thanks

Brayden

Comment

Hi Brayden.

I am not a collector so cannot really comment on their rarity. They're probably quite rare given the prices they command! I should imagine that any that do come up for sale are snapped up by the professional vehicle restorers, or even offered to them if the seller knows what they have.

I am pretty sure that somebody makes reproductions, and sells them as such, unlike some other unscrupulous individuals. I wouldn't hold my breath trying to find the "rack".

With regards to the different sizes, a question about flare sizes on the firearms forum might be a good start.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Kind regards,

Ian

Comment

Thanks for the help Ian! Ill see if I can look into this a bit further.

Any other opinions and information is well welcomed

Thanks

Brayden

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X