Tank Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Badges

Can anyone identify these badges? They come from a collection that was bought back to Australia by an ex-inmate of Changi jail. They could be Japanese tankettes or Dutch as there were a lot of Dutch badges with the collection. Grateful for any suggestions.
    Attached Files

Those are a collar (I think) and beret insignia of the 'Vechtwagens KNIL', the tank- and armoured cars units of the 'Koninklijk Nederlands-Indisch Leger', the colonial army in the Netherlands East-Indies (now Indonesia).

I would be interested to see the other Dutch badges as well?

Comment

Thanks for that swift reply. Here is the collection as it was. Some of these badges sold for really strong money.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think the only other Dutch badge in that group is the Greek helmet on the lower left, it was (and still is) the emblem of the colonial- and Dutch Army's Engineer Regiment. The rest of the badges seem British/Commonwealth to me.

Comment

Btw the tank depicted in the insignia is the British Vickers-Carden-Loyd, which was in use in the KNIL since the 1930's. The insignia stayed in use till 1950.

Comment

Thanks again. I was told that the large badge was a shooting competition award, the W being for Wilhelmina. The smaller badge has now been identified as the shoulder badge for the VKNIL. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ghlight=changi

Comment

You are correct about the shooting award.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X