GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German FLAK 40mm non-explosives grenades, opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German FLAK 40mm non-explosives grenades, opinions please.

Hi!
    Opinions on these ones (only pics I have..).
    Are they hard to find? Worth?
    Thanks!
    Regards K-J
    Attached Files

pic

pic
    Attached Files

Comment

pic1

pic1
      Attached Files

Comment

40mm

Originally posted by axion9
        pic1
        Very nice..BILL

Comment

What makes you think they are german ?

The 2 on the Left might be very early german ones.
          The 2 on the left are not german, at least, i have seen them before in german manuals.

The cases look like standard Bofors Pattern produced for instance by Sweden, Poland and Hungary, germany made their own cases, with a small primer.

Pictures of the shells without the cases and descriptions of markings would very be helpfull.
          Last edited by Zünder; 01-19-2005, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zünder
            What makes you think they are german ?

The 2 on the Left might be very early german ones.
            The 2 on the left are not german, at least, i have seen them before in german manuals.

The cases look like standard Bofors Pattern produced for instance by Sweden, Poland and Hungary, germany made their own cases, with a small primer.

Pictures of the shells without the cases and descriptions of markings would very be helpfull.
            The two on the left look similar if not identical to the two US 40mm Bofors rounds that I have. The two on the right have AP rounds. Did they use AP rounds for Flak?
            Tom Nowling

Comment

I have similar 4 cm HE shells, both WW2 German and Hungarian made and i've seen a polish shell that looked exactly the same.

@Nimble: when were you're shells made ?
              As far as i know the US only used 2 types of HE-T : Mk II and Mk III.
              One type of HE.I-T: MKII.

AP. shells were also used: the US used 2 types M81 and M81 A1, Germany sure had them (i have one), but they do not show up in any manuals.
              As far as i know, only AP practice shells have been found, all made for the Kriegsmarine.

Comment

@Nimble: when were you're shells made ?
                As far as i know the US only used 2 types of HE-T : Mk II and Mk III.
                One type of HE.I-T: MKII.

I will have to check when I get home this weekend. I believe both were made in the 40's. They are both AA or Flak rounds.
                The AP rounds could very well be KM rounds. It was my understanding that most if not all flak rounds were designed to explode in the air so as not to fall back to the ground in on piece.Maybe someone else has better knowledge on this than I do.
                Tom Nowling

Comment

The AP shells made for the Kriegsmarine look completely different from the ones in the picture.

They are in fact APC-HE-T, they look very similar to the german 5 cm Pzgr. 39.

When i look at Axion's AP shells, it looks they have a very small drivingband (if it is one ), defenitely smaller then the 16 mm wide drivingband you normally see on 4 cm Bofors shells.

Comment

40mm Bofors

The two on the left are rounds made for the Swedish designed Bofor 40mm Rapid Fire Air-cooled gun. The shape and design of the projectile is unmistakable.

Regards
                    Johnsy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X