HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good US museums to see German armor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good US museums to see German armor?

Looking for some travel ideas for the Spring and Summer. I've always wondered if there's a museum(s) here in the States with great exhibits etc. Is the Patton Museum in Kentucky?

You are correct. The Patton Museum is in Ky.

The other museum in the US with a large display of German armor is the Ordinance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md.

I kow the Patton Museum has a website and believe Aberdeen has one as well.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tynan
      You are correct. The Patton Museum is in Ky.

The other museum in the US with a large display of German armor is the Ordinance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md.

I kow the Patton Museum has a website and believe Aberdeen has one as well.

Tim
      Try the D-Day museum in New Orleans-great museum (Stephen Ambrose wouldn't have had it any other way) and the location can't be beat!

Comment

hello,
        A friend (and fellow forum member) visited the Patton museum a couple of months ago and was very impressed indeed.

I understand they have uniform exhibits too.

Here are a couple of pictures from his visit.
        Attached Files

Comment

Another..
          Attached Files

Comment

More..
            Attached Files

Comment

One more..there are also armour exhibits from other nations too.
              Attached Files

Comment

There is a very nice museum in Danville, Virginia, just chock full of all kinds of tanks, not much German stuff, but they do have a Panzer IV. Its paint even looks good - not restored looking. Nosing around it while we posed for photos by it "We were in DAK clothes", I opened one of the boxes on it and there lay an old dirty cleaning rod for the barrel! Neat stuff! Well worth the visit. Lots of guns, antitank weapons, a huge collection of Generals uniforms, with lots of German and Russian items, and much more. Great place, worth a stop between you and the Patton Museum.

Dave

UOTE=DP Jennings]Looking for some travel ideas for the Spring and Summer. I've always wondered if there's a museum(s) here in the States with great exhibits etc. Is the Patton Museum in Kentucky?[/QUOTE]

Comment

I agree with Dave 100% on Danville.

It is a fantastic day out.
                  A little taste of the exhibits can be found here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=danville

Patrick.

Comment

The 1st Division Museum in Winfield, Illinois is well worth the time. The museum is located on the grounds of Col. Robert McCormick's estate, McCormisk was the owner of the Chicago Tribune Company. It is located approximately 35 miles due west of downtown Chicago. Besides the museum, there is also a tour of his mansion and gardens available. I remember going there as a young lad marveling at the recreated German gun bunker above the Normady beaches. Attached to the wall were an army and Waffen SS helmet. Over the years, someone figured out how to remove the SS helmet from the wall and it disappeared.

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X