Kurt Meyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt Meyer

Canadians interested in reading more about Kurt Meyer may want to purchase the book "the Valour and the Horror"

A couple of quotes from the book.

On the 7th of June I was given a notebook taken from the body of a dead Canadian captain. In addition to handwritten orders the notes stated that 'no prisoners were to be taken'. Some Canadian prisoners were asked to verify these instructions...they confirmed orders that if prisoners impeded the advance, they were not to be taken.
    Even the birds were silent. Before us lay the naked bodies of over 100 German soldiers, their hands tied with wire, horribly slaughtered. The officers were mutilated and in pieces.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Unfortunately, it is a fact of war that in any conflict, alleged atrocities committed by the victors are treated far differently than those allegedly committed by the vanquished.
    Neither are excusable, but they do happen.
    For example, I am aware of at least one incident where German troops who had surrendered and were lined up against a concrete wall, unarmed, for processing, were mowed down in cold blood by an American machine gunner - who only ceased firing when he was finally kicked in the head by an irate American officer.
    The incident was apparently covered up, because nothing more was heard of it, and the soldier involved was not punished in any way.
    Had the Germans won WWII, it is fairly safe to assume that this incident would have been treated as another Malmedy.

Comment

Hi Guys, I am a little concerned about how this thread might turn out?

I think that we are all aware that between the Germans and Canadians during the Normandy campaign many terrible acts were commited by both sides.

Should this thread turn out in the usual fashion I will not hesitate to close it.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson

I think that we are all aware that between the Germans and Canadians during the Normandy campaign many terrible acts were commited by both sides.

Should this thread turn out in the usual fashion I will not hesitate to close it.

Cheers, Ade.
        Why don't you just do that now?

Comment

Hi Bob, I don't like to close any thread. There is always a chance that some interesting points or new information might come to light? But past experience of threads of this nature made me post my warning.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Should this thread turn out in the usual fashion I will not hesitate to close it. Cheers, Ade.
            Ade: With all due respect, I think you might have somewhat misconstrued the intent of my posting.
            It was not meant to lay blame on either of the parties involved - only to illustrate the fact that accountability for incidents like these are handled differently by the victor and vanquished - this is a fact of war.

For what it is worth, my uncle was one of the North Nova Scotia Highlander soldiers executed by Meyer's troops after he and a number of his comrades had surrendered during the Battle of Normandy in 1944.
            As you have pointed out, distasteful as it is, these things do happen in every conflict.

Hope this clears things up somewhat,

Regards,
            Don

Comment

Hi Don, sorry my post was not directed at you. Your post was a very balanced view and perfectly acceptable.

It is just that these type of threads have gone downhill fast in the past and I wanted to pre-empt this.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Don, sorry my post was not directed at you. Your post was a very balanced view and perfectly acceptable.
                It is just that these type of threads have gone downhill fast in the past and I wanted to pre-empt this.
                Cheers, Ade.
                Understood...thank you.

Regards,
                Don

Comment

Hi Michael,

This is also mentioned in 'Grenadiers', by Meyer himself. (excellent book, if you see a copy, snap it up).
                  This is a very revealing book covering his war service and subsequent capture and trial.
                  In it he describes how well he was looked after by the Canadian authoreties, allowing his wife to visit him, etc.
                  Even some of his Canadian guards thought he should not have been charged with war crimes.
                  After what happened to Jochen Peiper, i guess Meyer was one of the lucky ones..........

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X