Does anyone know this Hunting Tiger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know this Hunting Tiger?

This is a small photograph of a Hunting Tiger that I found a few years ago. Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, the photo is actually much sharper. I was curious if anyone is familiar with this tank, what happened to it, etc. From the photograph it appears it might have suffered an internal explosion, it looks like the roof of the drivers compartment is lifted up. The back of the photo had the handwritten date September 15,1945.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

eric
    Attached Files

It would help greatly if you could get a better scan so we could see if there is a number. I have never seen this photo before.

Comment

I'll try to get a better scan tomorrow. I checked it out with a loup but didn't see any markings at all, anything is covered up by the tracks mounted on the side.

eric

Comment

Jt

Originally posted by blinky
        I'll try to get a better scan tomorrow. I checked it out with a loup but didn't see any markings at all, anything is covered up by the tracks mounted on the side.

eric
        Very nice photo. This looks like vehicle 'Y' of 2./ s.Pz.Jg.Abt 512 knocked out at Bad During.

Andrew

Comment

Look at the size of that monster, what a cool photo, you must be very proud of it.

Comment

Thanks Andrew. It'll be interesting now to find out more about it and that action.

Yeah, it really was a monster. You can see towing bars still hooked up to the front of it, it must have been a project just hauling it away.

Thanks again everyone!

eric

Comment

Andrew I can see why you think it is the vehicle you mention but as the 'experts' can't even agree if it was 2nd or 3rd kp I just wish we could see the buildings to the right of the photo to be sure! The cobles, the full set of fenders and the 2 objects (shells?) in front of it do suggest it is the one in Devey's book (page 261,'Jagdtiger, Operational History')

Comment

Great photo , i want i have it .

Comment

Originally posted by michael kenny
                  Andrew I can see why you think it is the vehicle you mention but as the 'experts' can't even agree if it was 2nd or 3rd kp I just wish we could see the buildings to the right of the photo to be sure! The cobles, the full set of fenders and the 2 objects (shells?) in front of it do suggest it is the one in Devey's book (page 261,'Jagdtiger, Operational History')
                  Hi Michael (and Happy Xmas)

Yep, I was too quick to dive in with 2kp.

There's a much better repro of the shot Devey used in Zalogas Tank Battles in Germany (I'll mail you it). But looking at Erics shot and the shots of 'Y', note that wooden 'Z' framework behind the vehicle and the way the driver/r.ops roof has been blown off. Those 'shells' you see are the sheath bits of the two cables, anyway all will be clear when you see the photo!

Now more interestingly and something I mentioned off-page to Eric, is where on earth is Bad During (Zalogas caption in the above title)?? It doesn't exist or it ain't near Paderborn according to MS Autoroute Europe. I take it Steve got it off the back of the photos he's used while Devey notes Paderborn.

Cheers - Andrew

Comment

It's a match with the photo Andrew sent me.
                    Does anyone know how it was destroyed?

eric

Comment

128mm?

Comment

I live in the area where „Company Schrader“ of the sPzJgAbt 512 was used in combat, therefore I have a strong interest in this part of history.

Last year (2004) I was spending quite some time driving around in order to find the location of the “Bad During” photos and the location of another photo, showing another abandoned Jagdtiger in the area between Paderborn and the River Weser (posted by James Blackwell on Missing Lynx in late 2003). Sadly my “investigations” have been without success so far. Andrew is right, “Bad During” does not exist, one possibility would be “Bad Driburg”, located on the edge of the Teutoburg Forrest, on the main road leading from Paderborn to the East.

Very little is known about “Company Schrader” in the early stage of the fighting’s. Their Jagdtigers seem to have been in action during the defence of the small <ST1<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceType>village</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName>Tietelsen</st1:PlaceName></ST1 (near the town of <st1:City><ST1Beverungen)</st1:City> on April 6th, together with KingTigers of the sPzAbt 507.
                        From here on the available information is much better, as the group crossed the River Weser where they were joined by two new Jagdtigers, which had arrived by train from <st1:country-region><ST1Austria</ST1</st1:country-region>. One of the commanders of these new tanks (Feldwebel Arnold) survived the war and was able to tell his story in a german book in the 1990s. <O

There is an anti-tank obstacle visible in the one of the “Bad During” photos and I have read about a german tank abandoned near a tank obstacle in a small town in the area between Bad Driburg and Tietelsen…So maybe, with a little luck, I might be able to identify the location later this year. <O
                        Blinky, how about sending the better scan to the publisher of the new “Panzerwrecks” books:<O
                        www.panzerwrecks.com/
                        I guess they would be very interested and I would love to see the better scan myself one day, preserved for future generations.

<O
                        Oliver N.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X