Sockellafette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sockellafette

Does anyone know how the Sockellafette, that was used in the Sd Kfz series of vehicles, functions? There is only one hand wheel but from what I understand that wheel controls the vehicle and horizontal movement of the guns. I would be most interested in a drawing/sketch of the workings of this unit.

Does anyone know of where one might be for sale, no matter what the condition?

Thanks Harry

Originally posted by 222R View Post
    Does anyone know how the Sockellafette, that was used in the Sd Kfz series of vehicles, functions? There is only one hand wheel but from what I understand that wheel controls the vehicle and horizontal movement of the guns. I would be most interested in a drawing/sketch of the workings of this unit.

Does anyone know of where one might be for sale, no matter what the condition?

Thanks Harry

Hi Harry,

those Sockellafettes are very very hard to get! Here in Europe there are a few but already in Private collections and mostly not restored!

You are korrekt, the "steeringwheel" is for turning the Turret. The Littlefield Colection has an Original sdkfz222 with its original Sockellafette complete restored into new condition.
    On pics of that vehicle you see that elevating the gun lafette was done vy a short sort of joystick handle. One pull was about elevating 5 or 10 cm up or down. 6 full pulls on the handle elevated the gun in its highest position.

Thats all i can tell. If you need some pics just let me know.

regards,
    Eddy

Comment

Thanks for the reply Eddie. I am stationed in Germany with the US Army, would you know any of the owners that have on of these Sockellafette's that I could look at up close and see what I am missing. Thanks for clarifying the racket handle operation, I have the Toadman CD of the Sd Kfz 222 as well as several other books that show the lafette but does not describe how it functions. The base is bolted to the bracket that spans the frame rails of the car but I am not sure where the bearings are located on the lafette that allows it to turn.
      I have some photographs of a Sockellafette in Norway I believe that has helped a lot in understanding how it works. I have found some parts in Poland and can reconstruct one if I can get some good dimensions. My email is connors@online.de should you have some photos or other information you can send. Thanks Harry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X