T34 or Tiger1 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Black View Post
    Tiger 1 for me, when it comes to work place safety I would feel a hell of a lot safer in a tiger than a T34
    if i had to chose id pick the t34!when a tiger showed up it was target number 1 so you would have tanks planes artillery everything coming at you! t34, well you would have more of them so safety(some what) in massed numbers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paddywhack View Post
      if i had to chose id pick the t34!when a tiger showed up it was target number 1 so you would have tanks planes artillery everything coming at you! t34, well you would have more of them so safety(some what) in massed numbers!!!!
      Paddy
      I warned you before, please take a breath!
      Choosing the manner of my death it would oh man I mean come on its got to be in a Tiger as an mg gunner spraying death on the infantry like some out of control Dalek and and my 88 cracking 34's in my ears and and they would say..Poor hoss.. he,s gone.... but he died in a TIGER.
      Or maybe they would say thank God.

Comment

What about the crews?

Nobody has discussed the crew factor yet..Not only would I take the Tiger, but I think the Panzer crews were better also..

Comment

Birdie, you draw one of the card mostly forgotten in all those "which is better" threads !!
          If you look at the beginning of WW2 the success of the Panzertruppe during the blitzkrieg campaigns was result of a new tactic of using AFV in general plus well trained crews as most of the used tank types were already out of date (The Pz I was ment as training vehicle when introduced in the thirties...) . Although later in the war the training of german tank crews wasn´t that good anymore it may have been better then that of the average soviet tanker ... . But even then those tolls of 50 "kills" by one Tiger crews were exceptional and only possible for a experienced team working together over a long time plus a great proportion of luck. If you are in a good, camouflaged defencive position aiming on an enemy advancing over open grounds for a long distance for example its not a question of the tank and crew alone ...

Beside all that... all this questioning has another flaw: The running of time is left out most often. When the T34/76 first apeard it was king of the field because of its modern hull layout and the big gun - you have to compare it with the everage german tank: Pz38, PzII, Pz III 3,7, Pz IV 7,5 L/24 ... After learning that most of the tanks where out of date suddenly germany upgunned Pz III and Pz IV and build a lot of tankhunters by recyceling obsolete MBTs ... and developed the Panther as answer to the T34. The Tiger can be seen as answer to the heavy tank types as KW2 etc. .... If you compare Panther and T 34/76 you`ll see fast why this was upgunned to the /85 version ...which is still not a "bad tank" but has only less advantages to the Panther: the mud-friendly and less complicate running gear and the fact that it was made in bigger numbers ...

Jens
          Last edited by Asbjoern; 03-01-2011, 05:50 AM. Reason: clearing typos

Comment

Originally posted by Asbjoern View Post
            Birdie, you draw one of the card mostly forgotten in all those "which is better" threads !!
            If you look at the beginning of WW2 the success of the Panzertruppe during the blitzkrieg campaigns was result of a new tactic of using AFV in general plus well trained crews as most of the used tank types were already out of date (The Pz I was ment as training vehicle when introduced in the thirties...) . Although later in the war the training of german tank crews wasn´t that good anymore it may have been better then that of the average soviet tanker ... . But even then those tolls of 50 "kills" by one Tiger crews were exceptional and only possible for a experienced team working together over a long time plus a great proportion of luck. If you are in a good, camouflaged defencive position aiming on an enemy advancing over open grounds for a long distance for example its not a question of the tank and crew alone ...

Beside all that... all this questioning has another flaw: The running of time is left out most often. When the T34/76 first apeard it was king of the field because of its modern hull layout and the big gun - you have to compare it with the everage german tank: Pz38, PzII, Pz III 3,7, Pz IV 7,5 L/24 ... After learning that most of the tanks where out of date suddenly germany upgunned Pz III and Pz IV and build a lot of tankhunters by recyceling obsolete MBTs ... and developed the Panther as answer to the T34. The Tiger can be seen as answer to the heavy tank types as KW2 etc. .... If you compare Panther and T 34/76 you`ll see fast why this was upgunned to the /85 version ...which is still not a "bad tank" but has only less advantages to the Panther: the mud-friendly and less complicate running gear and the fact that it was made in bigger numbers ...

Jens
            I think you understood exactly what I was getting at, and you explained it very nicely..Thanks for the in depth and interesting reply !!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X