Panzer Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Colors

As I understand Panzer colors, it breaks down something like this (note that I'm not using the German designations intentionally, but please do if you wish):

Up to October 1942: Panzer Grey

October 1942 to August 1944: Dark Yellow with dark/olive green and red brown camouflage

August 1944: Ambush scheme (dark yellow, dark/olive green and red brown with splotches of the opposite colors in the scheme)

November 1944: Remained in primer orange brown with dark yellow and dark/olive green camoulflage (as available)

February/March 1945: Dark green overall with dark yellow and red brown camouflage (as available)

Anybody with more and/or detailed information? Would be glad to hear it.
    Cheers,

Bill Moran

I have a few resources on the matter including the 3 series squadron series by Bruce Culver. While HM 1943 #181 Feb was the order for the 3 color system mandating the use dk yellow as base and brown and green applied in accordance to local conditions. It is clear that the uniform application of this mandate was at best sketchy. What is prevelant in the schemes is that there was a total disorder to any form of uniformity of camoflage schemes. As Culver points out canabalization of wrecked vehicles, supply and whether the mixtures were done with gasoline or water/mud as well as hand applied vs. sprayed all accounted for complete diversity. I too have heard the statement that Dk Green overall was used in the winter of 44/45 ... but another resource ... which I can't find at the moment stated that this was the exception rather than the rule and also stated that it easily could have been the red brown primer... as it was dark on black and white photos ... and could have been mistook for the dark green overall. Truth is from 43 on ... anything seemed to go despite the regulations

Comment

Hello,

I am not an expert in this respect, to say it in a polite manner, but maybe the following links might be of some help:

link 1

link 2

link 3

Johannes

Comment

Do not forget about Jentz informations
        http://missing-lynx.com/panzer_facts.htm

Comment

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!

It was appreciated.
          Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X