Surviving Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surviving Tigers

This list is very precious to me. I hope that some of you appreciate it as well.
    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...Survivors.html

Odin Zone Refugee

Nice but "La Gleize" is a town in Belgium - nut in France though.

Mehr sein als scheinen

Comment

Hi,
      Great list! There are a lot of the beasts left when you think about it.

The Tiger II from s.SS-Pz.Abt. 501 in La Gleize is number 213.

Number 332 in the Patton Museum at Ft Knox was also from s.SS-Pz.Abt. 501 (abandoned/captured Dec 1944 at Coo-Biester near La Gleize).

Regards,
      Greg
      sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
      www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Saumur Tiger 1

March '02
        Attached Files

Comment

Saumur Tiger 2

This one is running.
          Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone out there gotten to see a lot of these?

Jack, I really envy your trip to Saumur; I'd love to see that Tiger II run!

I've been lucky enough to see the following:
            Tiger I at Sinsheim (and also when it was at Aberdeen in the 70s)
            Tiger I at Vimoutiers, Normandy
            Tiger II at Panzermuseum Munster
            Tiger II at La Gleize
            Tiger II at Patton Museum, Fort Knox
            Elefant at APG
            Jagdtiger at APG

My two sons may be the only American boys who have climbed on both remaining tanks of Kampfgruppe Peiper!

Greg

Comment

Here are some pics of the Tiger 2 at Ft. Knox:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...threadid=13351

It is a shame they cut the sides off it to show the interior.

Comment

since I can only breathe out few words.... Impressive!

Comment

The Saumur panzermusee is an incredible museum. Supposedly, every piece of German armor in it is in running condition. They have a military fair every year in July in which they bring some of these behemoths out for running. They show videos of the Tiger 1 in operation. I don't remember the Tiger 2. I encourage anyone visiting France to take the time to go to Saumur. It will be one of the best experiences that you'll have while there.

Comment

Originally posted by Luftwaffefeld
                    The Saumur panzermusee is an incredible museum. Supposedly, every piece of German armor in it is in running condition.
                    Unfortunately, far from it. But they do have some runners and are gradually restoring more.

Originally posted by Luftwaffefeld
                    They have a military fair every year in July in which they bring some of these behemoths out for running. They show videos of the Tiger 1 in operation. I don't remember the Tiger 2. I encourage anyone visiting France to take the time to go to Saumur. It will be one of the best experiences that you'll have while there.
                    I dont think Saumur has a running Tiger I? IIRC the one they do have is currently on loan to Panzermuseum Munster!

Claus B

Comment

Wow, I bet looking at that monster moving towards you in combat conditions must have caused the replacement of many pairs of underwear. When is this show typically held in Saumur? I would love to have the privilege of seeing one move around like that. I bet I would get similar goose bumps from seeing this King Tiger that I got when I saw a B-17, a P-51 and a P-38 fly in an air show once. Truly magnificent.
                      When you go home
                      Tell them for us and say
                      For your tomorrow
                      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Prima!

How'd you like to be the tank commander of that beast?

I'd love to just hear it, to hear what that "flat track" sounds like. Probably rattles a lot more than modern US tank "live track" with bushings, where most of the track noise is the end connectors squeaking in the sprockets.

Greg

Comment

Tiger II

And one more being assembled from bits here in the UK
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Walden
                            Prima!

How'd you like to be the tank commander of that beast?

I'd love to just hear it, to hear what that "flat track" sounds like. Probably rattles a lot more than modern US tank "live track" with bushings, where most of the track noise is the end connectors squeaking in the sprockets.

Greg
                            The most impressive thing about that Tiger II is the engine sound. It is loud as hell and has a raw, uncompromising quality to it. The other thing is the way the earth moves under your feet when it drives by. I dont recall the track noise as excessive. The loudest beast at that particular show was a T34 and a T62. The amount of squaking, rattling and smoke emission was truly amazing.

IIRC the show is in the 3rd week of July, but you better check with the museum or the Saumur tourist office if it is on. I've heard a rumour that the Tiger II is not longer participating because of the the costs of keeping it running.

Claus B

Comment

Regarding the list, the Jagdtiger at Bovington isn't the Porsche prototype (Fgst. 305001, manufactured in February 1944 and send to Kummersdorf for evaluation, and possibly later either a training vehicle at Putlos or destroyed by a P-47 in April 1945) but Fgst. 305004 (manufactured July 1944, then serving as a training vehicle at Sennelager).

Also, the Kubinka vehicle is Fgst. 305083, manufactured in April 1945, and mounting a M.G. 42 on the engine deck (possibly serving with the 501 s.SS.Pz.Abt.)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X