Patton Armor Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patton Armor Museum

Anyone who hasn't been there yet needs to go.
    Stug III pulled from a bog.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian C.; 11-09-2002, 02:27 PM.

Panther 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Not a German Panzer, but very impressive U.S. T-28.

Comment

The mighty, somewhat blurry King Tiger.
        Attached Files

Comment

Tiger II from Patton

PzKpfw VI Tiger II Ausf. B with Krupp's (production) turret.

This particular tank was produced in September of 1944 by Henschel and was to be issued to sPzAbt 509 but instead was issued to sSSPzAbt 501. This unit was part of Kampfgruppe Peiper, which took part in the Ardennes Offensive in the winter of 1944. This tank with turret number 332 was then abandomed by its crew near the village of Trois Point and was captured by US Army on December 24th of 1944. It was then moved to Spa and eventually ended up in Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. Tiger II was put on display and had entire right side of turret and part of the hull removed for display purposes. It was stored inside until 1957, when it was moved outside and parts removed were covered with thin sheet metal. In 1992, it was moved to Patton Museum at US Army Armor School at Fort Knox, Kentucky, The museum had the tank completely disassembled and repainted. The museum curator had all the layers of paint, which were applied over time, scrapped off and then matched the original colors for proper repainting in its original camouflage. An interesting thing came up when it was discovered that the Germans painted the inside of the tank - dark yellow instead cream / ivory color. It remains there on display indoors.

Comment

Hey neighbor! Very nice. Is this in Kentucky?

Comment

Badcard:

Re: your third post... Very nice indeed! Excellent . Post more pics!!!

Oh...post more pics of the tank, too.
              -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

I was through the Patton Museum in 1987. I was training as a Scout at Ft. Knox and, unfortunately, didn't have much time. I meant to go back through after training, but was immediately shipped out to Korea.

Do you have any interrior shots of the Tiger? Feel free to keep the pictures from your tour coming!!
                AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Inner turret. Most of my pics came out blurry, since I had not gotten used to my digital cam yet. I plan to return to take better pics.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Another view.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yep it's in Kentucky balthasar, just outside of Louisville.

This is only Panther 2 in existence in the world I believe.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This will give you an idea of the King Tiger's size.
                        Attached Files

Comment

One of Sadaam's we didn't blow up. Wonder how many they'll bring back this time?
                          Attached Files

Comment

The 88.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X