Armoured collections In Normandy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armoured collections In Normandy?

Can anyone help out? I'm off to tour Normandy and Brittany in a couple of weeks, I would love to have a look at some German armour, can anyone recommend any private or public collections worth visiting? Tim.

Collections?

Hi Tim,
    I don't know if I can really help with collections of German Armour in Normandy,But there are good places to visit.
    If you want to see a Tiger 1 (although in a bit of a mess) you can visit Vimoutiers,and there is one by the side of the road.Originally abandoned by it's crew,and pulled for the ditch where it was pushed after Falaise in the 1970's.
    Good museums that have some Armour are Bayeux,but only has German Amour parts,and Falaise Encirclement Museum that has Mk 4 Panzer and some nice halftracks.
    If you have lots of time of course there is the Mussee Des Blindes at Samur,that has a lot of German Armour,But I have yet to go,this in not in Normandy though.
    Heres a pic of the Vimoutiers Tiger for you!
    Regards,Lynton.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim R. B.
      Can anyone help out? I'm off to tour Normandy and Brittany in a couple of weeks, I would love to have a look at some German armour, can anyone recommend any private or public collections worth visiting? Tim.
      Hi Tim,

I don't know of any German armor in Normandy other than the Tiger at Vimoutiers and a Hetzer in Bayeux (I think it's a G13), but check out this site http://www.normandie44lamemoire.com/...iges%20us.html

The "Shipwreck Museum" at Port-en-Bessin is a must.

Regards,
      Greg
      sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
      www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Hi,

Yes there is the Hetzer at Bayeux,at the memorial museum too.
        Here are a couple of pics from the Encirclement Museum at Falaise.
        The first is the Mk4 Panzer.The second is one of several Halftracks.Not sure which type off the top of my head!
        It's a very good Museum to visit By the way!
        regards,Lynton.
        Attached Files

Comment

And one of the HalfTracks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Lynton, the halftrack is an Sdkfz 251D. My all time favourite vehicle

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade.

Thanks !!I'm not always sure of the types of Halftrack they used,often getting their designations mixed up ,but,yes..they are great looking vehicles and the Museum has a couple of nice examples.
              Regards,Lynton.

Comment

Thanks guys, i will be checking out the recommendations, it is my first time in area, I wil be having a good look about and of course will post any interesting pics. Cheers Tim.

Comment

i went to the tank museum at saumur only 2 weeks ago and its amazeing they have the only running Tiger II in the world there,
                  there is a hall set out just for German armor and there is something like 25 pices of armor and allthough it is not allowed you can climb them to look in the hatches and they are all in beautiful condition there is a Panzer IV with shurtzen and the Tiger has zimmerit.
                  they even have an extremly rear Panzer I linyx and Brumbar
                  i recomend it to any one with an interest in tanks from Germany or any contry from any war
                  Adam

Comment

Adam,

do you have any pictures you can post from the museum?it sounds great ,not sure when ill ever make it across the pond though...

Comment

Sorry i only took about 10 normal photos not on a digital cam i could try scanning them in and about an hour of film in just the german bit but cant convert to digital
                      http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr...s/jcollect.htm that is a list of every pice of German armor 30 pices including the schwimmwagon in another section not the best of photos though

Comment

saumur pictures

Originally posted by Yancy Irwin
                        Adam,

do you have any pictures you can post from the museum?it sounds great ,not sure when ill ever make it across the pond though...
                        plenty of pictures on my webshots site
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/jtrowbridge5

Comment

Its a shame how great weapons of war, which once struck fear into countless numbers of hearts, are now left to rust away, quietly, in the outdoors.

Comment

Cool photos

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X