Schweppenburg / Guderian Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schweppenburg / Guderian Question

Hi, in Guderian’s memoirs Panzer Leader, he constantly calls Leo Geyr von Schweppenburg as General Freiherr von Geyr. Can anyone explain to me the difference in the naming conventions?

Jordan

Hello,
    Because von Schweppenburg was noble, he was Baron in the noble hierarchy.
    Chris

Comment

Geyr was titled German nobility: Freiherr = title (roughly equivalent to Baron), Geyr = family name, von Schweppenburg = family estate. Rommel and Geyr von Schweppenburg were bitter rivals, the famous controversy over the Panzer reserves on D-day was between these two characters. I suspect Rommel felt that Geyr was where he was because of his title and wealth rather than merit and there is probably a measure of sarcasm in calling him "Freiherr von Geyr".

regards,

Funksammler
      FunksammlerMilitaria.com

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
        Geyr was titled German nobility: Freiherr = title (roughly equivalent to Baron), Geyr = family name, von Schweppenburg = family estate. Rommel and Geyr von Schweppenburg were bitter rivals, the famous controversy over the Panzer reserves on D-day was between these two characters. I suspect Rommel felt that Geyr was where he was because of his title and wealth rather than merit and there is probably a measure of sarcasm in calling him "Freiherr von Geyr".

regards,

Funksammler
        FunksammlerMilitaria.com
        Interesting, but it was Guderian who called him Freiherr von Geyr, and Guderian spoke of him many times in his memoirs, always in a positive light and tone. I am actually surprised in browsing the forum, that there isn’t more on this General. He seemed to have quite an influence on both the Eastern, and Western fronts.

Thank you for the name explanation!

Jordan

Comment

Hello,
          Geyr von Schweppenburg is the full name, it was Freiherr, its title of nobility. Guderian called him Freiherr von Geyr simply short of his full name, the nobles having titles and extended names.
          As for his skills, he was an excellent general of the panzers, but he should not please in the political spheres, because in 1941 he obtained the knight's cross and he was raised to the distinction of general of the panzertruppen .... and then nothing !!
          Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X