Matilda "I" tank Bir Hacheim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matilda "I" tank Bir Hacheim...

On page 264 of Heimdals "AFRIKAKORPS 1941-1943 The Libya-Egypt Campaign" by Francois de Lannoy is a photograph of a knocked-out or captured British Matilda "I" tank. Does anyone here who is familiar with the photo (photo 1 pg 264) know the color scheme of that camo job? Also curious if that was a captured tank put into service by the Afrika korps and then camo'ed or is that a British scheme?
    Thanks to anyone who can assist

Post pictures please
    Bet it’s British horizon pattern with not even seeing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=kammo man;8630380]Post pictures please
      Bet it’s British horizon pattern with not even seeing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

The British "Horizon pattern" you mention may be what's call "Caunter Horizontal scheme". Named after the Col that developed it. I am familiar with that camo scheme/ pattern but I will try to upload a photo. Not sure if I will be permitted by the site though.

Comment

[ATTACH]4553750[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok, well that worked. Is this what you referred to as horizon pattern? The pattern I am questioning is much different and not as common. I would load a pic if the file was smaller....but I dont know how to shrink it.

Comment

[ATTACH]4553752[/ATTACH]

Comment

There we go. The above tank is the example I was refering to in post #1.

Comment

Also, caption should read..."Push me over that way, I need to get a little closer!"

Comment

You had us a little confused with the Matilda I title, that's actually a Matilda II. I don't think there were any Matilda I tanks in North Africa, but there were a few in service during the early stages of the war in Europe.
                  As far as the camouflage goes, I would say that it was probably applied by the Germans.
                  Regards
                  Bern

Comment

Yes Bern, you are correct. Sorry for the confusion. The book I referenced in post #1 referred to the tank in question as a Mtilda I. I should no better than to rely on those captions for accuracy
                    Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Looks German to me also
                      The British had strict rules regarding this type of thing

Comment

The painted 10 sure follows typical German numerals.

Comment

The base paint job on the tank is British, light or medium stone, with the overpaint splotches in some German colour.

Must be in 41 as there is no remaining counter scheme showing under the daubs of green or grey. The caunter scheme did not last that long as it was a pain to do on the vehicles. After that it was plain stone shades followed by stone and black micky mouse pattern.

The brits did do a sand and spinach scheme at El Alamien but only on the recently arrived Churchills and it was a local "Non Approved" scheme.

Nice pics, especially the colour ones as it shows a variation of the caunter scheme, probably due to a lack of "Silver Grey" which was actually a pale greenish colour.

Regards

Tim

Comment

TimG, thanks for your thoughts and the additional info!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X