Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New user, need help identifying WB

Hello All
    I recently acquired a Wound Badge in a box of family stuff and was hoping someone can help me figure out what I have. Some research led me to your forum, so I know it is some type of German Wound Badge and that there are many different types, materials, etc. No one in my family was in WW2, perhaps it is from WW1?

I am looking for information about its age, maker, value, care (should I clean it?), etc.
    Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure how to post pictures here, so I put a few photos on my web site, hope that is ok
    http://www.robertbateyarts.com/Germa...dge/index.html

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum!

You have a zinc alloy Wound Badge by the maker Carl Wild, Hamburg. The grade was originally Silver. The only areas retaining good original silver finish are around the hinge and catch, which are not zinc and held the finish better.

Imo any attempt to clean the badge will probably also remove the remnants of the original finish on the remainder of the badge. The crusty white material on the obverse left of the wreath is the beginnings of zincpest. It can not be cured but some vaseline will help retard further degradation.

Re age, somewhere between 1943 and 1945 would be a fair estimate.

Value is probably in the US$60-80 range.

Regards
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Welcome on board Rob...

The link not working for me but i think Mike has already assist you and also i don't think i can add something more, maybe what variation-type is...
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Mike
        Thanks so much for the helpful information. When you say the grade was originally silver, does that mean it is silver plated zinc and most of the silver has worn off? How would you rate it's condition?
        A fascinating piece of history I never knew about! Thanks again, Robert

Comment

Hi Rob,

Yes, it was originally silver plated zinc. No genuine silver was used in it's production.

That cream coloured material on the obverse of the badge (pebbled area around the helmet) is the aged remains of the finish. Same with the lighter coloured patches on the reverse (and the hinge and catch as mentioned above).

I would rate it's condition as honest (not messed with) but only poor to fair, not good.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Best Regards, Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X