Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gold wound badge

hello all
    there is a gold w/b on www.epier.com #238966 sold by a collect4me@aol.com to me it looks repainted or something fishy,how about some opinions about the badge and anybody done business this merchant thanks rkoy oh its a MM 107 thnanks rkoy

Hi -

I'm far from an expert, but it seems to be quite a bit grainier than the two I have (one silver, one gold). I've not seen that particular maker copied before, but that means little if you have a die and a mallet! Good luck!

Don

Comment

Hello,

Two versions are known from this maker.
      The first is like the one on this auction you name,with cast in hinge and catch.
      The other version is with separate applied catch and hinge,are soldered in a plate into a recess.
      The maker's mark in both of them (including and the black wound awards)is with raised digits
      into an oval box,below the hinge(all grades).

Now about the finish,it's not fair to judge one badge from the photo.You can be more sure if you take the piece in your hands.
      It helps if you scratch (little) in some area,ie:at the edges.Also a magnification 10x helps a lot to the "hidden" areas,like arround the hinge.
      Remember,some was gold plated,some washed with the appropriate finish some others has the coarse-grained finish,therefore the final appearance of the finish vary to more dark or to more bright.
      Finally,the majority of the zinc's badges from this maker the finish starting to bubble and flake in places but i don't know why this happening though.
      So i guess that this piece is a zinc based and i have no doubt on this one.

Hopes this helps a little.

PS:Because i'm on vacations i can access my collection to send you some pic's,sorry.
      sigpic

Comment

thanks chris ,don c
        i was hopimg to get a response from you chris your site has no pics of the 107 mm badges thanks rkoy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X