• Show
Clear All

Silver L 14

Hi All. Is this one a good one? Hope pics are good enough. Best, norge
    Attached Files

L 14
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm not familiar with this maker but having said that the hinge setup looks ackward and mismatched from the base. The leaves on the obverse lack detail (but might be from uneven paint) and the Swaz does not appear very crisp. Also the reverse seems to lack finish while the obverse has a lot as though repainted. However, lets see what the experts say. I myself have doubts. Regards, Ron.
      Last edited by Ron P; 11-13-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I have no problems with the badge. Perhaps i would test the obverse finish with aceton but imo it's good.

It seems that sometimes the makers put only finish on the obverse of a badge.
        Best regards, Andreas

______
        The Wound Badge of 1939
        www.vwa1939.com
        The Iron Cross of 1939- out now!!! Place your orders at:
        www.ek1939.com

Comment

Originally posted by ak72 View Post
          I have no problems with the badge. Perhaps i would test the obverse finish with aceton but imo it's good.

It seems that sometimes the makers put only finish on the obverse of a badge.
          Andreas - due to the overall finish of this WB, would you consider it to be made late war?

The reason I ask is that the details are not very sharp (the leaves, the berries at the top etc.) - which suggests to me a worn die. Or is it just a simple matter that Friedrich Orth manufactured WB's were not the best quality?

Mike

Comment

This is a type of WB that i don´t beleave in.
            Regards
            Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
            I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Hans N View Post
              This is a type of WB that i don´t beleave in.
              Hans - (I think I already know the answer) but why?

Mike

Comment

Why not do the other way around Mike since you think you know the answer Don´t spoil my "fun" here by asking me why i don´t like it that fast

Come let´s discuss this type here and now...
                Regards
                Hans N

I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

OK Hans - here's why I dont' like it:

1. The berries at the top are wrong.

2. The detail overall is very poor.

3. The catch/hinge setup is suspect from my perspective.

4. I don't like the maker mark.

Anything I've missed?

Mike

Comment

Opinions required on my observations, come on Hans I know you want to cut loose - so do it!

Mike

Comment

Well... i would like to know first why Andreas likes it... after all he is a co-writer of the WB book that´s in the doing.
                      Regards
                      Hans N

Comment

Mike K did some nice comparison shots of these L14s with the L22s sharing the same type of maker mark. The berry pattern was the same as I recall, and other obverse traits as well. I don't want to post HIS photos, but maybe he will see this thread and weigh in with his opinion.

I do not recall a consensus of opinion being drawn from prior threads.

I thought that Andreas had a tombak version of this badge with a different setup. I know that Mike K's hinge was of a different type.

I am anxious to hear all opinions on these L14s out there as they always seem to generate controversy. I have files on five different types of L/14 massives, NOT including the notorious Floch FAKE. Four of the five (including the one that started this thread) continue to spark debate.

Dennis
                        Last edited by Dennis P; 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Here is a berry, hilt and bow comparison of the L/14 being discussed and one of my L/22 SWBs. They share similar traits (six top berries, a double knot bow etc.) and the same style of reverse lettering to the maker mark.

What conclusion should I draw from this.......that is a GOOD question, and I don't have the definitive answer. These SWBs only surface from time to time (unlike Floch Fakes), and I only have photo files on four of these L/22 similar variations, with two setups and possibly material variations.

Dennis
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dennis P; 11-17-2008, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Hello Dennis,

your on the right track here. Here is another badge that shares the same design
                            Attached Files
                            Regards
                            Hans N

Comment

Since Andreas is obviously not going to give us his thoughts on why he thinks this type of WB is good i might as well post the reverse of the WB i posted which will give you the answer to why i don´t like the L/14 type that started this thread.
                              Attached Files
                              Regards
                              Hans N

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X