No announcement yet.

Gold Wound Badge - If this could talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it Bob, thank you for posting it!
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post

Who said anything about it being dug-up?? I have a more than "basic understanding of ballistics" and cannot imagine anything else that could have caused that kind of deformation without showing evidence of contact on other areas of the badge, or totally destroying the badge. That was a sudden, high impact strike at a very oblique angle. As I said, for what it's worth a .45 ACP slug fits perfectly in that dent at the edge. I guess we'll never know. It's just an interesting conversation piece.

Thanks to all for your comments.

vr

Bob
      Well it looks to have bits of cloth hanging on it and if the damage was caused by a bullet the chap would have probably died given that he would have been hit in the chest.

I think it could have been crushed under the landing bar of a Flying Saucer, that's my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by kefru177 View Post

Well it looks to have bits of cloth hanging on it and if the damage was caused by a bullet the chap would have probably died given that he would have been hit in the chest.

I think it could have been crushed under the landing bar of a Flying Saucer, that's my theory.
        I don't know why I feel compelled to respond to this, BUT, wound badges were not worn on the chest. When correctly placed, they're generally below the rib cage with no resistance behind them except for skin and organs. And yes, that is the lower badge loop still attached. Whatever hit this (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a flying saucer) did it at such an angle that most of the trajectory and energy was lost as it skipped off the side of the badge. Physics my friend, nothing extraterrestrial here. However, you might be on to something. If it was a ray gun do you think it would have just melted it?

Comment

Without any provenance to the badge what so ever we can only speculate about it´s present state and condition!
          Regards
          Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
          I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Hans N View Post
            Without any provenance to the badge what so ever we can only speculate about it´s present state and condition!
            I agree Hans. My speculation is that it got hit by a bullet. Kefru's is a flying saucer landed on it. Yubari's is it got squeezed by a car so who knows. The only sure thing is that a .45 ACP round fits in it perfectly - maybe mere coincidence

Comment

Whatever caused the damage, it is an interesting piece and a nice conversation starter for any collection,

Thanks for sharing,

Mats

Comment

Originally posted by M3A1Mats View Post
                Whatever caused the damage, it is an interesting piece and a nice conversation starter for any collection,

Thanks for sharing,

Mats
                You're very welcome Mats

Comment

Interesting badge, thanks for showing

Andy

Comment

Out of the three options voiced,hit by a car ,shot with a ray gun or shot in battle i would go with the shot in battle,or maybe one of Hitlers super weapons did it John .

Comment

Nice interesting badge. I'll add a 4th option, shot by a young allied soldier just for the fun of it. People did this kind of random stuff all the time when they were bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy smith View Post
                        Nice interesting badge. I'll add a 4th option, shot by a young allied soldier just for the fun of it. People did this kind of random stuff all the time when they were bored.
                        Appreciate the extra theory Guy, however in that case he must have shot it while it was on the tunic he may have taken because it still has the lower badge loop on it.

vr

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post

Appreciate the extra theory Guy, however in that case he must have shot it while it was on the tunic he may have taken because it still has the lower badge loop on it.

vr

Bob
                          I agree it clearly was on a uniform when it was damaged.

Comment

I have seen plenty awards coming with the badge loop out of veteran groupings (ripped of the uniforms)
                            With these "shot up" awards, 99% is done postwar. Not to burst anyones buble, but there is a very slim change this was done in the war.

Comment

Agreed with that, but what a interesting example of a gwb. Love it!

Originally posted by chrisje110 View Post
                              I have seen plenty awards coming with the badge loop out of veteran groupings (ripped of the uniforms)
                              With these "shot up" awards, 99% is done postwar. Not to burst anyones buble, but there is a very slim change this was done in the war.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X