Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Wound Badge, 30

Hello everyone!

Here my last entry, a Silver Wound Badge marked 30.

I have 3 question about it, please help me to clarify.

1) Comparing to other german badge types, this is quite heavy in weight. Is it normal?

2) Why there are traces of gold color around the swastika, on the front edge and the pin?

3) The seller told me it was made in tombak, but could it be also zinc?

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Hi Methius,

first of all welcome to the forum!

1. It is made of tombak (a brass alloy with around a minimum of 70% copper) and that is a heavy alloy. Especially when the badge is massive like yours.

2. the gold color as you describe it actually the tombak exposed under the silver finish.

3. No zink is a porous metal that very often looses is finish and thus gives the badges a very grayish tone. There are zink 30 badges but the design is no the same in terms of the hardware which are intergrated to the badge it self. In some cases however there are zink badges that has a primer beneath the final finish which can be mistaken for a massive tombak by an unexperianced collector or dealer
    Regards
    Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
    I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Nice badge.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hello,

a nice WB from Hauptmünzamt Wien with the rare "swordneedle".

Regards Shaver

Comment

Originally posted by Hans N View Post

1. It is made of tombak (a brass alloy with around a minimum of 70% copper) and that is a heavy alloy. Especially when the badge is massive like yours.

2. the gold color as you describe it actually the tombak exposed under the silver finish.

3. No zink is a porous metal that very often looses is finish and thus gives the badges a very grayish tone. There are zink 30 badges but the design is no the same in terms of the hardware which are intergrated to the badge it self. In some cases however there are zink badges that has a primer beneath the final finish which can be mistaken for a massive tombak by an unexperianced collector or dealer
          Thank you very much!!

Comment

Hi Methius,

Welcome to the WAF forum!

Nice original wound badge in silver by Haupmunzampt. They are relatively common, however, always good quality and the ones with wider pin like yours are very desirable. Nice example.

Hans answered all your questions perfectly, well done Hans.

Tom
            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Methius,

Welcome to the WAF forum

I myself am not the biggest fan of the Haupmunzampt badges, but still a nice and desirable Silver Wound Badge you got there!

Kind regards,

AW

Comment

Thank you all for kind judgments and welcomes

If you take it alone, maybe it's not the most fascinating badge although always well designed...in my opinion, this badge gives his best as part of triptych with EK I and Infantrie Sturmabzeichen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X