Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 New Silver Wound Badge additions

Hi guys,

Picked up these two unmarked SWBs recently, think I have the makers worked out but would love to hear your thoughts.

First up I believe to be an unmarked Gustav Brehmer, based on the somewhat unique catch which appears to be the same on the 13-marked Wound Badges, as well as the Brehmer-marked Luftwaffe Flak badges.

I really love the patina on this one, and I believe it is made out of nickel silver rather than tombak as I don't see any trace of yellow base metal peeping through the worn highlights.

Tom
    Attached Files
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

The other one I picked up I believe to be an unmarked S&L. The reverse hardware setup would certainly point to S&L, however the obverse die doesn't seem to be an exact match to the "4" marked S&L SWBs I have on file, nor does the reverse have the rought patches we typically see on S&L marked Silver wound badges. Did S&L used 2 different dies for their solid wound badges? Any other wound badge maker use this type of catch sunken in a rectangular recess like we see on S&Ls?

Thanks guys.

Tom
    Attached Files
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi Tom,

IMO you nailed the makers on your badges
      The S&L of yours matches my GWB except for the reverse rough patches
      Attached Files
      Regards
      Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
      I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Hi Tom,

Some nice badges you got there, looking great with some nice patina
        Also have to agree with Hans, you definitely nailed on who made the badges.

Kind regards,

AW

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies and confirmation on the makers, much appreciated.

There seems to be a small difference in the obverse design of my marked S&L versus this unmarked one I picked up, top right corner under the tip of the sword the beading is a little different. Can you guys check your silver/gold S&Ls and see if anyone has a similar beading pattern to my unmarked example, or is this just an anamoly?

Thanks

Tom
          Attached Files

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi Tom,

looks to me that the unmarked one is made by a more worn die IMO. Compare the size of the dots as well as the berrie in the wreath. On the unmarked one they are slighty bigger than on the marked one same goes for the left side of the sword as well as a slight different angle on the tip of the sword.
            Regards
            Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
            I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Spot on with the makers Tom

And two more excellent badges for your collection
              Now I know where all the nice badges ends up

Cheers,
              Ronny

Comment

Originally posted by Hans N View Post
                Hi Tom,

looks to me that the unmarked one is made by a more worn die IMO.
                Maybe you are right Hans, as every other nook and cranny I look at appears to be identical between the two badges. Must just be die wear. Thanks.

Thanks too Ronny for the kind reply, my WB collection is coming along nicely but still way far behind you guys I am sure.

Tom

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hello Tom,

this are the details from my mm "4" SWB for compare.

Regards Shaver
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X