Makeshift silver wound badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makeshift silver wound badge?

Hi, got this Badge from the Household of the soldier, together with an ASA. Seems to be a silver Badge that was made out of a black one, or how do you see this?
    Could not find any markings, but Maybe it is possible to determine the manufacturer?
    Attached Files

Asa

and here the ASA that came with it...
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Given the stated provenance of the wound badge and the age/appearance of the obverse silver finish, I'd say it's a legit period field "upgrade" (probably due to a shortage of wound badges in his area near the end of the war). The trouble is, without documentation (preferably a declaration by the soldier) as soon as it leaves your hands it becomes just a silver painted black wound badge.

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
        Hi,

Given the stated provenance of the wound badge and the age/appearance of the obverse silver finish, I'd say it's a legit period field "upgrade" (probably due to a shortage of wound badges in his area near the end of the war). The trouble is, without documentation (preferably a declaration by the soldier) as soon as it leaves your hands it becomes just a silver painted black wound badge.

Regards
        Mike
        Hi Mike,

thanks! Are you sure it is painted? Does not really look painted to me, but I have no idea what else…..

I agree totally, "field upgrade", and without any proof it will be no more than a black Badge that has been altered. But at the end of the day I know where it is from, and it has definatley not been messed with post war. I cannot provide any documentation, but that is totally OK for me. It is not About value or else. More if similar items exist and can be shown here, that would be my interest.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bergler View Post
          ...Are you sure it is painted? ...
          From the obverse pic, yes, I believe so. Most of the detail (eg sword hilts, pebbling) is covered in a thick silver coating and there are brush strokes evident on the helmet.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hello,

This must go under the category " Hollow badges in silver or gold".
            They come with a good story and with a high price.
            Over the last ten years + these "hollows" have been popping up in bigger and bigger numbers.

This is a new version, a field made silver badge from before May 1945.

Luckily for us all, one can believe in what one wants.

IMO, original black wound badge, silver no. ☺

Best regards

Rasmus

Comment

The question is and most likely always will be WHEN the paint was applied on the badge...
              Regards
              Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
              I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                Hello,

This must go under the category " Hollow badges in silver or gold".
                They come with a good story and with a high price.
                Over the last ten years + these "hollows" have been popping up in bigger and bigger numbers.

This is a new version, a field made silver badge from before May 1945.

Luckily for us all, one can believe in what one wants.

IMO, original black wound badge, silver no. ☺

Best regards

Rasmus
                Hi, this one does not come with a good Story, nor a high Price. The Story is very trivial, and no high Price to it at all as I do not post it here to have it "sigend off" to sell. It is just my personal interest as I do not have seen this "upgrade" before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans N View Post
                  The question is and most likely always will be WHEN the paint was applied on the badge...
                  Yes, and since there is no proof of any kind that this was "upgraded" before 1945, it will be up to every individual to Judge for himself. I for myself know where it came from, and I am 100% sure that this is what it was in 1945. But I do not have any Problems if you have a different opinion, and why not. This piece seems unusual and not textbook…...

Comment

any other opinions or similar items out there ????

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X