X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have also a silver one out of a Soldbook of a Gebirgsjäger

Comment

Originally posted by Hans N View Post
      Those manufacturer/distributer cards are equally dodgy as the cloth WB´s if not even more.
      As a follow up on the manufacturing card, the one pictured was part of a larger board which had all 3 "badges" on it. The board was cut apart and the "badges" sold separately.

These badges are similar to the round pilot badges in that there are those that believe and those that don't. They are what they are.

The non believers want picture proof, which may be impossible. If a picture is found then they will say it has been photoshopped. If paperwork is found then the non believers will say that authorization paperwork is not the same as a production order. Believers will say these are found in vet lots, the non believers will show that many vet lots were tampered with. The arguments cut both ways and in the end I am not sure how you prove it definitely either way.

Personally I believe but to each his own. The best thing to state is that these are controversial and the collecting community is split on whether or not they are pre May 45.

Gary B
      Attached Files
      ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Considering that by mid 1944 the Fallschirmjager Badge was awarded in cloth, plus we have examples of the Iron Cross in cloth, Pilot's badge in cloth and the well known German Cross in cloth. It is well within reason to think that these are legit pieces. I think they are late war time issue.

Comment

Originally posted by vacollector View Post
          Considering that by mid 1944 the Fallschirmjager Badge was awarded in cloth, plus we have examples of the Iron Cross in cloth, Pilot's badge in cloth and the well known German Cross in cloth. It is well within reason to think that these are legit pieces. I think they are late war time issue.
          Actually, that's a differerent matter.

All flight badges were available in embroidered versions, as they were much more practical than metal badges for aircrew (due to the confined spaces in aircraft cockpits, the wearing of seat- and parachute harnesses and life vests etc.).
          The cloth version of the German Cross was expressly created to avoid damage to the original award.
          The cloth EKs were unofficial, optional private purchase pieces.

Neither were intended to replace the metal awards or created for economy reasons; they were additional pieces for wear on field-/flight uniforms.

(I'm not saying that the cloth Wound Badges didn't exist, just that they can't be compared to those other embroidered awards.)
          Last edited by HPL2008; 02-12-2020, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Saved this image from a fotolot of a Luftwaffe soldier that was sold a while ago
            Attached Files

Comment

That would be a great find. However, that doesn't look like a printed wound badge to me. I'm not sure what the photographer was trying to capture, but that looks like a metal BWB on a lighter colored piece of material.

s/f Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                That would be a great find. However, that doesn't look like a printed wound badge to me. I'm not sure what the photographer was trying to capture, but that looks like a metal BWB on a lighter colored piece of material.

s/f Robert
                Totally agree, maybe you weren't able to properly see the badge againts the dark background so he attempted it with a white one.

Mats

Comment

To me, these are like the sniper badges and Luftwaffe tank badges. There are accepted versions, but no photographic evidence that they were ever worn.

Like in the movie Miracle on 34th Street, "I believe, I believe"...

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X