Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Fritz Todt Badge

Hello,

After a long search I was finally able to pick up a nice Dr. Fritz Todt badge and I am quite happy with it. I just wanted to show it off and make sure all is well but I already know it is. The finish has really held up nicely on this one for being a zincer (I think). Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
    Chris G.
    Attached Files

todt

hello chris

best regards
    patrick

Comment

I agree. Nice private-purchase type

Stan

Comment

I would welcome any information as to why the Fritz Todt Prize badge is seen with such differing finishes as it is today. Apparently this award was produced in small numbers finished in the traditional Black, Silver and Gold finishes denoting the level of the contribution made by the award recipient to German industry in the early 1940s. Also apparently the great majority of examples seen today are private-purchase pieces, produced to be sold to recipients of this award who wished to have additional examples to wear on different uniforms. As I notice, these private-purchase pieces were plain on the reverse, while awarded examples apparently bore an award number (keyed to an award citation or document) and some even include the date of the award.

One sees examples of this award with varying finishes; some are smooth and elegant while other examples appear to have finishes that are dissolving or decomposing, with rough bubbles on both the obverse and reverse, and even machine marks still left on the reverse surface. Is this actually the way individual examples of this prestigious award were intended to be presented and seen?

I have never owned an example of this award in any grade or quality, though I have long observed these differences while trying to understand the thinking behind the way they look to the viewer. This wide inconsistency underlies the reason why I have never been interested in adding one or more of these pieces to my collections, but I would certainly welcome the knowledge and expertise available here among our colleagues.

With many thanks for your educating me,

Br. James

Comment

Br. James,

First awards were made of zinc and had the words "Dr.- Ing. Fritz Todt Preis." in a banner. These were also marked "8.2.44" on the reverse (the date of the institution and first award date) together with a award number.

Second awards were the same as the above but made of Cupal.

Hundreds of zinc badges marked "Dr. Fritz Todt" were presumably made for private purchase but why so many were made remains a mystery.

Their condition after 75 years is probably down to the zinc composition and storage conditions over the years.

This is my opinion.

Stan

Comment

Many, like yours, I believe come from Deumer barter boards, so there must have been quite a stock in the factory.

Comment

Thanks so much for your input and background, Stan; very helpful.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Wood View Post
                Many, like yours, I believe come from Deumer barter boards, so there must have been quite a stock in the factory.
                Yes, this badge allegedly came from a Deumer board.

Regards,
                Chris G.

Comment

Original award pieces with the "Dr.- Ing. Fritz Todt Preis." banner were made by Godet not Deumer.

It really does make you wonder why Deumer made so many "private purchase" type badges.

Stan

Comment

My knowledge is that only the shown type is the official one from which I also have seen all types (gold, silver and black/iron).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X