Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golden NSDAP Party Badge Fuess

Hello,

I got this badge .. is it a Austrian fake ?
    Thanks for help,
    Robin
    Attached Files

Yes, that's the correct nick name this fake received.

Regards, Wim
    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

No good Robin!
      COLLECTING POLITICAL ITEMS, HJ AND SS

Comment

Sorry, Robin, but I must agree with Wim and Francesco: This is indeed an example of The Austrian Fake GPB.

Br. James

Comment

No problem !
          Bought it as copy

Comment

Guys, no doubt this is a fake. Just because I'm curious: why is it called "AUSTRIAN fake"?

Cheers, Peter

Comment

A reasonable question, Peter. While I can't say for certain, my impression is that the earliest one of these identified to be a fake Fuess-marked GPB originated in Austria. Other colleagues here may have more detail...

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                A reasonable question, Peter. While I can't say for certain, my impression is that the earliest one of these identified to be a fake Fuess-marked GPB originated in Austria. Other colleagues here may have more detail...

Br. James
                Thanks, Br. James! Personally I don"t have a problem with the name but for some reasons I really doubt this fake was ever produced here in Austria...

Best, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post

Br. James
                  Amazing, it was discovered circa 2007!

Why did it take so long?

Comment

"Amazing, it was discovered circa 2007! Why did it take so long?"

Thanks, Gary. The example of "the Austrian fake GPB" in my collection has been there for well over 15 years -- perhaps as long as 20 years. I bought it from Ron Manion that long ago and, once it was in my collection, I really didn't pay much more attention to it for years after that. But more recently, here on WAF, we began hearing about a version of the Fuess-marked GPB that was more-precisely made than the originals in terms of the lettering and cloisonne work, and once an example or two was shown, I looked again at the one example of the Fuess-marked GPB in my collection. Voila! There it was! My own personal example of the then-titled "Austrian fake!"

Of course, by that time Ron Manion had retired and his business had ceased, and I wouldn't have blamed him for selling a fake piece anyway, since none of us had identified such a beautiful fake GPB yet. So, why this forgery of the Fuess-marked GPB has been labeled "the Austrian fake" is beyond my knowledge, but I will always keep this example as a reminder of what is possible in the antique forgery business.

Br. James

Comment

The fake Fuess badges made their first appearance at the big shows in the 1980s.

Comment

"The fake Fuess badges made their first appearance at the big shows in the 1980s."

Were these fake Fuess badges the ones now known as "the Austrian fake?" There have been a number of fake GPBs made to broadly resemble the Fuess-marked badge, as we can see on Stephen Lauten's excellent reference website:

http://pages.interlog.com/~sjl/GPB/index.html

That said, it would be most helpful if Stephen could add the details of "the Austrian fake" to the relevant section of his website.

Br. James

Comment

These did not appear on Stephen’s

website until well into the 21st century.

How did he overlook such a obvious fake all those years?

A question I’ve asked many times.

Comment

Upon further investigation, I see that "the Austrian fake" does indeed appear on Stephen's excellent website. If you click on the link titled "Have a look at these recent fakes" you'll find just what we're talking about.

I initially missed this link, which is included in the text; I regret not looking more carefully.

Br. James

Comment

incredible information here! Hope buyer did not pay regular price for this one!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X