Silver SA Sports Pin Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver SA Sports Pin Problem

I just bought this Silver SA Sports Badge and while I did my research on it I have no doubt it is authentic (Although feel free to tell me otherwise) My question pertains to the pin which I did not notice when I got the Original Pics of hte Badge...

The Pin appears to have been filed around so as to make it's circumference smaller! It is obvious why this was done as the pin Clearly would never have closed into the catch had it not been filed. My question is...

Has anyone ever seen anything like this done before, and if so how did quality control ever get this out of the factory...

First the Front...
    Attached Files

Now the back, notice you can start to see how the pin was mishapen and bent...
    Attached Files

Comment

And now the pin that has me wondering... WHY?... Notice how it has been ground all the way around so that it has a smaller diameter!?! Would hte factory have done this and if not and the recipient did, how the heck did it ever get through quality control?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Bennett
        And now the pin that has me wondering... WHY?... Notice how it has been ground all the way around so that it has a smaller diameter!?! Would hte factory have done this and if not and the recipient did, how the heck did it ever get through quality control?
        Maybe the recipient ground it thinner to make it easier to push through a tunic that was devoid of the threads normally sewn into the uniforms for medal attachment

Comment

no i hav't but the pin assembly is just fine which as stated goes down to who ever had the badge filed it down abit to make the pin sharper by the looks. btw nice badge

Comment

Hi Shane,

Has the pin simply been repaired? It looks like a ?remnant of the original pin has had another bit soldered onto it.

Regards
            Mike K
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Sa

In my opinion, this is a repair of a broken pin by adding a piece to the pin. Also, I believe this to be a steel badge with a bronze finish that is gone in some areas, not a silver.
              Ron Weinand
              Weinand Militaria

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand
                In my opinion, this is a repair of a broken pin by adding a piece to the pin. Also, I believe this to be a steel badge with a bronze finish that is gone in some areas, not a silver.
                Ron Weinand
                Weinand Militaria
                I agree with Ron. If you look at the reverse, the catch appears to have the finish normally found on Bronze examples.

Comment

Well thanks guys! The Bronze badge theory would explain a lot of the different finish around the pin. Even though I paid a Silver price for her, it is such a unique badge, that I think I will keep her anyway. I got her from a very reputable dealer and after handelling her I just cannot come to send her back. Even though it would appear that she is a Bronze grade masquerrading as a silver. Just too much character. I still don't know how to explain the pin. I looked her over very thoroughly and saw no evidence of a repair or added pin section anywhere. Is it possible that the repair is just that good that it is escaping my naked eye?

Thanks to all guys!

-Shane

Originally posted by h009291
                  I agree with Ron. If you look at the reverse, the catch appears to have the finish normally found on Bronze examples.

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 04-17-2005, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X