Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golden Party Badge number help

Hi,

Does GPB number 50600 appear on any lists?

thanks,

John

Hello,

in my opinion not yet.

Best

Max_Porter

Comment

Sorry, John, but that number is not attributed on my list. Do let us know if/when you find out who held it.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Hi Max and Brother James,

Thank you.

I will let you guys know if I find out who held the badge, I will post pix when I take some.

John

Comment

Added now ...

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
            Added now ...

Comment

That's a well-worn badge. You can see where the original pinplate was affixed, fell off, then replaced with a jeweler's pin. On the front, the enamel disk fell off and was reattached at about a 90ยบ angle (the "A" in DAP should be centered over the crossed ribbons at the bottom of the wreath). I'm always amazed that so many disks get reattached crooked...

I think these things give it more character.

Sorry, I don't have the number either.

Comment

Also, the number was re-engraved, by the proper machine used, so it is a re-issued pin. (The original number ground down then this number engraved in and the gild re-done).

Comment

The "re-engraved" idea is a myth. You would have to grind the back down considerably to clear old, existing numbers, and none exhibit this depth of grinding.

These numbers are rotograved, which was an alternate way to number GPBs, possibly for extra badges ordered at a later date. The horizontal scratches you see on the bottom of the back are likely the result of a light sanding to remove any rough edges left by the rotograving numbers. No one is quite sure why some are impressed and some rotograved, but it was not because a badge was "recycled" with a new number.
                  Last edited by sjl; 03-12-2016, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sjl View Post
                    The "re-engraved" idea is a myth. You would have to grind the back down considerably to clear old, exisiting numbers, and none exhibit this depth of grinding.

These numbers are rotograved, which was an alternate way to number GPBs, possibly for extra badges ordered at a later date. No one is quite sure why some are impressed and some rotograved, but it was not because a badge was "recycled" with a new number.
                    I agree 100% with the above.

I also like to see the custom pin attachments on important party badges due to their uniqueness and their importance to the recipients on wanting to continue to wear their awards.

Comment

I also agree with Stephen's statement.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by sjl View Post
                        The "re-engraved" idea is a myth. You would have to grind the back down considerably to clear old, existing numbers, and none exhibit this depth of grinding.

These numbers are rotograved, which was an alternate way to number GPBs, possibly for extra badges ordered at a later date. The horizontal scratches you see on the bottom of the back are likely the result of a light sanding to remove any rough edges left by the rotograving numbers. No one is quite sure why some are impressed and some rotograved, but it was not because a badge was "recycled" with a new number.
                        That is very interesting. I was referring to what I had read and indeed your sentiment does make more sense as the engraving of the number would be deep. Thank you for clearing that up.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X