Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period Pin? I Need Some Help Guys....

Hey everyone,

I have handled thousands and thousands of tinnies over the years and I have come across more and more pieces that have what I feel is not a period pin on them. I have found this pin on out and out reproductions as well on some period pieces as replacement pins.

Last weekend at the show in Pomona I bought a big tinnie collection and inside there were these two pieces. I know that they are not the same but they are very similar. I use them both to show the difference in the pin styles. The pin on the left one is the one in questions....as is the tinnie to be honest.

What does everyone think? Am I the only one that doesn't think that this pin style is period?

Thanks again,
    Chrys
    Attached Files

Mine is a different year than yours.......1933 earlier than yours; however the pin is sort of like yours and it is affixed much in the same manner. The look of the solder is much the same, and the back is different than either of yours. I am certain of mine, I got it around 50 years ago from a vet........tinnies brought almost nothing then and I don't think anyone was reproducing them then, since they only brought maybe 25 to 50 cents each and nobody much wanted them.

I would say yours is original.

Ron

Comment

For what its worth- Never liked them. Personally, I believe those that utilize them to be post war reproductions, commonly called 'Polish Fakes'. Not to say all or none but I remember when I was buying tinnies from Europe- the ones sold as fakes at some point had this type of hardware more often than not.
      The muddy (semi hollow) verso on your pin seem to follow suit as well and can be seen on some reproduction tinnies. Again, not a 'make it or break it' on its own but I think you have a valid question here.

cheers

Matt
      Last edited by Matthew; 05-15-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far guys...so we have one for and one against. I don't like them either...I'm going to search through more pieces to see if I can find more that have this pin.

Here is the obverse of the tinnie (left one) just for reference....

Chrys
        Attached Files

Comment

I have seen these pins on original party badges, in particular Fritz Zimmermann made ones. I see no problem, if you don't like it send it on down to me.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TWALT View Post
            I have seen these pins on original party badges, in particular Fritz Zimmermann made ones. I see no problem, if you don't like it send it on down to me.

Tom
            Would you happen to have any pics of the pin you mentioned?

cheers

Matt

Comment

If we're talking about the pin with "double" catch (don't know how else to call it), i think it was massively used on the Schlageter awards as well. I'll dig up mine tomorrow if anyone wants to see. Obviously from a different period (earlier), but this kind of catch did for sure exist among German makers.

For what it's worth i like the Deschler tinnie shown here the most, although the other one might not be bad either. I've been collecting tinnies quite a lot in the past and had at one point accumulated many dozen of different 1934 tag Der Arbeit tinnies, which are roughly from the same time and resemble the one above here productionwise (round, stamped, soldered needle), i have seen those 1934 TDA's with similar quality that resembles the fake ones Matthew mentions, but that are not always necessary fakes. As confusing as this may sound, i know for sure that several of those TDA tinnies that look sloppy made are in fact good ones, which makes me doubt if the Deutsche kunst tinnie shown here is fake.

Comment

Glad to see that more have weighed in here. I have found another from my files...do we think that this is a replacement or original to the badge?

I do have a question though...if this pin type is truly a period used piece why are they scarcely seen? I have handled countless tinnies and have only come across this style a handful of times. Wouldn't you think that with the millions and millions manufactured that we would see them more often?

Thanks again everyone for the opinions. I want to get this straight before our tinnie book is completed later this year.

Chrys
                Attached Files

Comment

This one is again from 1934, and the Schlageters (don't have pics at hand at the moment) are early too, making it for now a possible hypothesis that this setup was an early thing? I like this one you show. I still have all my tinnies i collected when i was younger, don't keep them all here but will try and go through some maps tomorrow. Maybe Pete can join this discussion as well, he has quite a few more (than me).

What's the new book about if i may ask?

Comment

I once also viewed this type of pin with a jaundiced eye, but it never put me off buying a badge. I consider it a normal, if slightly unusual, variant.
                    Just checked and my 1933 Kunst also has the same type of pin.
                    Don't seem to have a file pic. of the other.
                    Regards,
                    Pete

Comment

So perhaps left over stock from the early 30's? This would be the only thing that would make sense to me.

I'm really going to keep an eye out and see what other years I find this type on.

Comment

Hi Chrys:

Just did a quick check of mine and found 7 with that kind of pin setup including my 1933 Kunst. The fact that the 1933 Kunst keeps coming up would lead me to believe the pins are period. The 7 that I found were all 1933, 1934 + 1935 so that lends support to the theory of earlier tinnies. Some of the 7 show that the pin definitely was re-attached but others look original so I would hazard a guess to say they were perfectly OK.

Curt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X