Have you ever seen one before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever seen one before?

Hi guys, when I saw this "medal" the first time I thought it was a joke. I take it in a lot without interest thinking about a fake.
    After some researches I found a very interesting story behind this strange and curious piece. A story where an SS man went to Palestine during the '30...

I show it to you. Day by day this hobby is a never ending story...

Do someone have other of these medals in collection?
    Attached Files

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
    - THE SS TK RING
    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Let me answer by quoting from JohnT's write-up on the piece in question which can be seen on his fantastic website at www.germanwarbooty.com. Article M5139 under medals/badges/awards of his catalog.

"1934 EIN NAZI FÄHRT NACH PALÄSTINA (A Nazi Travels to Palestine) UND ERZÄHLT DAVON IM Angriff (And tells about it in Angriff) Medal by Lauer of Nuremberg. In the spring of 1933 SS member Baron Leopold Von Mildenstein, (he would a few years later become head of the Jewish section of the SD) together with his wife and Kurt Tuchler, also with his wife, of The Zionist Federation of Germany, spent six months travelling Palestine. The Zionists proposed that the status of German Jews be regulated on a group basis, and asked for government help towards emigration. Von Mildenstein was approached to write something favorable about Zionism and its project in Palestine, and agreed on the condition that he could make a visit and he did accompanied by Tuchler. He was favorably impressed, and saw advantages for Germany, as well as for the SS as proposers of a policy. A series of articles entitled "Ein Nazi faehrt nach Palestina" began in September 1934 in Der Angriff , Goebbels' newspaper. It ran for twelve parts. Von Mildenstein saw in the Jewish settlement on the land a form of rebirth fitting Nazi notions about blood and soil, as well as a way of ridding Germany of Jews. But life was difficult in Palestine, and problems were looming, in Palestinian Arab resistance to Zionist colonization and British rule. The newspaper Der Angriff had this medal struck to commemorate his voyage to Palestine and to promote the series of articles. This is a rare original and I have recently seen reproductions with incorrect details appearing on internet auctions but they have lettering and details that are wrong. It is interesting to note that Von Mildenstein brought Eichmann into the Jewish Department."

cheers

Matt

Comment

This coin was apparently an advertisement for a travelog published in Goebbels' Gau Berlin newspaper, "Der Angriff." Interesting.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
        Do someone have other of these medals in collection?

online photo storage

Comment

"The newspaper Der Angriff had this medal struck to commemorate his voyage to Palestine and to promote the series of articles"

Please,,anyone,,source material.......

Comment

John's pictures linked for reference. Can someone point out the differences or are those shown here all originals ?

Comment

it looks like a nice piece..
              ,,But again,,where is the source material for the quote in my last post..

Had Der Angriff done something like this before or after? a struck piece, a pin,etc.?

Is there mention about it in the paper?

- or a photo of it with price and availability?

The piece is struck brass? looks like a artists name or makers at the bottom of the one side..

For such a rare [?] piece that's a hell of a good price for one.. IF authentic I'd gladly pay that for one!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
                The piece is struck brass? looks like a artists name or makers at the bottom of the one side..
                The piece is stamped brass alloy.
                It is makers name at the bottom of the one side. With the town they were based out of on the other side.

cheers

Matt

Comment

This is what I found Gaspare:

"Consequently, the Zionists brought Baron Von Mildenstein of the S.S. Security Service to Palestine for a six-month visit in support of Zionism. This visit led to a twelve-part report by Joseph Goebbels, Hitler’s Minister of Propaganda, in Der Angriff (The Assault) in 1934 praising Zionism. Goebbels ordered a medallion struck with the Swastika on one side, and on the other, the Zionist Star of David. In May 1935, Reinhardt Heydrich, the chief of the S.S. Security Service, wrote an article in which he separated Jews into "two categories." The Jews he favored were the Zionists: "Our good wishes together with our official good will go with them."

Source is: Lenni Brenner, "Zionism in the Age of Dictators" (Paperback, 1983).

Yes, material is struck brass alloy and maker should be Christian Lauer of Nürnberg.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                  - THE SS TK RING
                  - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                  - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                  - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

"Goebbels ordered a medallion struck with the Swastika on one side, and on the other, the Zionist Star of David"

Now that's good work my fine sir! Yes, that is good source material. Was it made? probably,,so hey that's a great price for to me such a rare thing!
                    Good work..

So these all shown are taken to be authentic.. Anyone get stuck with a copy they could show?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X