Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schutz- und Trutzbund honour needle

Hi guys

Here's something very special I recently picked up. A member pin for the German Nationalist Protection and Defiance Federation. VERY low award nr 13 is engraved in the reverse. 800 silver marked. The design and enamel of this pin are extremely nice, but the history behind this pin is quite shocking.

Here's the text from Wikipedia:

Delegation of the NSDAP (Nazi party) during the German Nationalists protection and Trutzbund organized German Day at Coburg, 1922.
    The Deutschvölkischer Schutz und Trutzbund (English: German Nationalist Protection and Defiance Federation) was the largest, most active, and most influential anti-Semitic federation in Germany after the first World War, and one of the largest and most important organization of the German völkisch movement during the Weimar Republic, whose democratic-parliamentary system it unilaterally rejected. Its publishing arm put out some of the books that greatly influenced the opinions of those who later organized the Nazi Party, such as Heinrich Himmler,and after it folded many of its members eventually joined the Nazis. The bund's symbols were a blue cornflower and a swastika, and according to Peter Padfield its motto was "Wir sind die Herren der Welt!" ("We are the masters of the world!"). Not a single German source can be found which confirms this motto, which in fact is a verse from the song "Der mächtigste König im Luftrevier" (i.e. The mightiest king in the skies.) According to Ulrich Sieg the motto was Deutschland den Deutschen ("Germany for the Germans").

Giel
    Attached Files
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Also from Wikipedia
    Attached Files
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

I have never seen this pin before. Thank you very much for the information.

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Very nice to see! thaks for showing!

Comment

A very nice and rare needle, Giel. I'd like to show a Trutzbund membership ID from my collection. The first one I've seen so far.
          The rules on the IDs back are extremely anti-semitic.

Regards, Matthias
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice !

Comment

Thats really nice Giel and the 2nd one I have seen this year

Comment

Well, it is not an Honor needle thats for sure. The DVSTB Ehrennadel is well documented in-print, as well as multiple examples surviving today. It was gold washed, a sword behind a swastika with white enamel, and looked nothing like their membership pins.

Digging a bit deeper into the DVSTB history, there are two possibilities for what these pins "could be".
                1- A pin for a Lifetime member of the DVSTB
                2- A pin for wealthy sponsors of the DVSTB.

18 sponsors, and over 300 Lifetime members are documented by October 1920. (source: p.17 Aus Der Kampfzeit des Deutschvölkischen Schutz und Trutzbundes - Eine errinerungsschrift vom ehem. Hauptgeschäftsführer Alfred Roth 1939.)

Wealthy sponsors, the DVSTB refer to these as people who have made such a grand donation towards the party, that they are freed from all further membership fees forever.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X