Gold Mothers Cross variation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Mothers Cross variation

I suppose most of us have Mothers Crosses in our collections. Whether or not we actively collect them, there always seems to be a place for that award in our collections. Maybe its the striking design, or the irrefutable link to the German soldiers that earned the other items we pursue.

At any rate, I have a Gold Mothers Cross that I wanted to share, as it is not made the same as most others you have seen. On all other examples I have seen, the texturing under the transluscent blue enamel has an even stippling, bubbly appearance.

I invite you to explore the pictures I attached of my gold Mothers Cross that doesnt have stippling, but rather a checkerboard effect. Curious, no?
    Attached Files

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

image 2
    Attached Files

Comment

image 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone else have a mutters cross that varies from the norm?

Comment

Mark

I don't know if this is a variation from the "norm" but the swaz on my gold MK is thicker than on the bronze and silver.

As for the checkerboard effect in the enamel, my silver has something similar, but it's hard for me to get a picture of it.

George
          George

Comment

And....

I notice that on your gold the upper left arm of the swaz is not touching metal ring around the center enamel. The others are.
            (?)

George
            George

Comment

Youre right, I never noticed that before..should I be concerned? My silver and bronze ones are all touching...

hmmm....

Comment

Not quite a 'differ from the norm' piece but what I have recently decided is a rather poor faked bronze award.

This was bought by me early in my collecting and was in an original case for the gold award. It was sold as a cased gold mothers cross and I bought it as such. However, over time I have seen more good crosses and don't consider mine to be one of them.

If I am wrong great, what do you think?

Graeme
                Attached Files

Comment

It is hard to see but the white enamel, if you could call it that, is concave in appearance and overlaps the surround in some places. The white around the swaz is also not smooth with the rest of the centre.

The case is good in my opinion.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Mark,

I don't know if it's cause for concern. I haven't studied the MK that much. I just have a set for the reasons you gave, plus they're fairly inexpensive!
                    I thought the different swaz on my gold might be a problem. I posted here earlier about it, but didn't really get a definitive answer.

As for Graeme's....

I dunno!

George
                    George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X