Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buntmetall vs. Zink

Hello,

Can someone offer clues to how one might determine what material was used to manufacture a piece (buntmetall or zink)? Some clues would be helpful.

Thanks,

Darren

Originally posted by Darren
    Hello,

Can someone offer clues to how one might determine what material was used to manufacture a piece (buntmetall or zink)? Some clues would be helpful.

Thanks,

Darren

only thing I can think of is the weight, but this is only useful when you already have the weight of similar pieces to compare it with...

regards,
    ben

Comment

Here are some pictures of the same medal left is buntmetal right side is zinc. The pictures shows the differance.
      Attached Files

Comment

reverse
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks ben and kokstok for your help. I can see that there are clues with both weight and finish. The buntmetall piece seems to have a nice patina, while the zink is dull. Are the zink pieces more brittle in nature?

regards

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
            Thanks ben and kokstok for your help. I can see that there are clues with both weight and finish. The buntmetall piece seems to have a nice patina, while the zink is dull. Are the zink pieces more brittle in nature?

regards
            Zinc absorbes the finish over the years, as is quit obvious on kokstokĀ“s pics.
            Another sign is `bubbling` of the finish, like small blisters.
            But, if thye finish is perfect, the only way to determine the metal will be the weight I guess.

If you have a nice zinker in good condition, it will have developed a nice patina as well.
            (at least: if the finish is the same)

regards,
            ben

Comment

Isn't the Westwall medal on the left bronze? I didn't think these were made in buntmetall.
              Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X