Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student World Games pin - Vienna 1939

Hi Everbody,

I just wondered what you all make of this: a pin commemorating the Studend World Games, Vienna, August 1939. I imagine it was probably given to participants.

Is it period though?

The Games, it would seem, did indeed take place, although, many countries did not compete, no doubt a matter of sensitivity concerning the hosts.

The pin arrangements, and catchplate seems okay, as do the rivets. The maker also certainly existed. What about the swirling pattern to the blue enamel?

It might be that this is a fantasy piece, that I have managed to go blissfully unaware of, or it could be a-okay.

Anyway, all opinions warmly received.

Thanks for looking.

All the best,
    Toby.
    Attached Files

As you've probably noticed the photos aren't the best: it was really tricky to get a good shot of this badge!

And on to the reverse:
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Toby,
      I have the same item but with a red color bottom and white on top. If I'm not mistaken I've read in one of the forums that these are fantasy items but if they are they are extremely well done i think. I have had mine for quite a few years and they certainly look genuine and as you say there definately was a student world games held in 1939. I hope there might be some other forum members who have information about this badge.
      Duzig

Comment

Hi Duzig,

Thanks for replying. I had a look on one of the other forums, and found the red bordered example. I notice that they both have the same swirling pattern in the enamel which to my mind doesn't seem of the expected quality. Consequently, I must confess I still feel uneasy about these badges.

Best regards,
        Toby.

Comment

Toby, Duzig.....
          i have to share your uneasiness concerning these Toby...just my .02 worth
          mike

Originally posted by TobyR
          Hi Duzig,

Thanks for replying. I had a look on one of the other forums, and found the red bordered example. I notice that they both have the same swirling pattern in the enamel which to my mind doesn't seem of the expected quality. Consequently, I must confess I still feel uneasy about these badges.

Best regards,
          Toby.

Comment

Mike - thanks for taking a look.

All the best,
            Toby.

Comment

The enameling just doesn't seem to be up to par with most of the work that you see from this time period. Even the enamel on common badges looks better.
              Tom Nowling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X