Tinnies & Deschler's abandoned trademark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinnies & Deschler's abandoned trademark

Just got these tinnies in today and was quite happy with them. The 1909 Gauturnfest tinnie has some incredible detail on the obverse but it was the reverse that struck me the most. It was produced by Deschler & Sohn and had a trademark that the company apparently dropped in the Hitler years for some unknown reason.
    Richard V

Richard,
    Very nice indeed, good caught on the trade mark I would imagine there's an interesting story behind that.

Comment

Deschler's trademark

I don´t 100% agree with you for the trademark, as (many) Deschler badges & pins during and after WWI did not have it. I just don't know for which years / for which badges it was used, but the company did not wait until 1933 to drop it.
      Maybe some advanced collector can tell us more about it.

Moreover, it is a full star (used on many a German town flag, on the top of the German Christmas tree at the beginning of the century... , not a "true" David star.

Regards
      Gilles

Comment

Gilles, I know it is not a Star of David but it is close enough that I think it would have been looked at in a negative light during the Third Reich era. This is actually the first time I have seen this trademark used for Deschler. I have not idea when they started to use it or when they stopped. Obviously in 1909 it was in use.

Richard V

Comment

Deschler´s trademark

Richard,
          1909 still in use, but it had already disappeared on (all???) WWI and Weimar era badges, so IMMO much too early to be a Third Reich-related move.
          There are some helpful collectors here who know all about Juncker's half-moon and crown... Who can help us with Deschler's star?
          Regards
          Gilles

Comment

The "Star of David" or "Seal of Solomon" didn't become a specifically Jewish symbol until the 19th century. It was used during ancient times as a magical sign by the Greeks, Romans and the Babylonians, probably depicting the Morning Star and the cult of Venus worship.

In the 1350s Emperor Carl IV gave the Jewish community the right to fly their own flag over the Jewish community in Prague. Their red and gold flag had the Star of David, chosen as an ancient protective and magical symbol, in myth being painted on King David's shield to magically protect him in battle. It is important to note that the same symbol was used by many other groups and religions at the same time.

While the six-pointed star was used by all kinds of groups (and continues to be used in non-religious things like heraldry and ancient institutions like the Freemasons), it became more associated as an exclusively a Jewish symbol by the 1800s and was replaced in general use by the five-pointed star we now use (which also was deemed to have magical protective powers). It wasn't until the 1800s that Jews themselves began generally using it on synagogues.

So Deschler would have used it as a generic symbol or trademark, none of which explains when and why they stopped using it, although no doubt as the star became considered more "Jewish" and the times became more anti-Semitic, it probably made good business sense to drop it.
            Last edited by sjl; 10-24-2004, 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>

Thank you sjl for the information!

Richard,
              the pictures are, I regret, tinny. They show a Deschler badge of 1912 for an Austrian bakers' association. The stamping on the backside, different from yours, already doesn't show the "Seal of Solomon" any more. Just Deschler & Sohn, Munich VIII.
              If VerKuilen were around, he might help us fore sure...
              Regards
              Gilles

</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X