MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30mm & 24mm GPB: Were they awarded in pairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30mm & 24mm GPB: Were they awarded in pairs?

As the title says, were there badges awarded together as a pair: large and small, or were they awarded singly?

The reason I ask is because I am considering adding a set to my collection, but do not want to buy a single badge if it was once part of a pair - I'd rather have the pair with matching numbers that I have seen occasionally.

I hope that this makes sense!

The GPBs were awarded/purchased in pairs but individual badges could also be purchased due to wanting an extra or due to loss.

Comment

Per the original instructions males would get pairs, females small ones only.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
        The GPBs were awarded/purchased in pairs but individual badges could also be purchased due to wanting an extra or due to loss.
        Thank you Erich.

So if I buy a single badge, it is either half of a pair, or just an additional single badge to complement a pair or replace one of a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
          Thank you Erich.

So if I buy a single badge, it is either half of a pair, or just an additional single badge to complement a pair or replace one of a pair.
          Correct John.

Comment

Correct John.
            Correct only for large GPB's. Refer to original bestowal regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
              Correct only for large GPB's. Refer to original bestowal regulations.
              Thanks - where do I find these? Is the Wikipedia entry on these correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Party_Badge

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                Thanks - where do I find these? Is the Wikipedia entry on these correct?
                Some details are not correct.

The document I am referring to is Reichsschatzmeister Franz X. Schwarz's circular to all Gauleitungen dated 25. October 1933. Ross Kelbaugh has posted it somewhere, possibly Axis or German Daggers forum.

Comment

That's a very interesting note, Andreas -- one that I don't recall reading before. As I understand it, there were approximately 1,700 GPBs awarded to female members of the NSDAP. I hope someone can find the document issued by the treasurer and post it here. As we have discussed previously, it was my understanding that GPBs were always initially awarded in pairs, irrespective of the member's sex...

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                    Per the original instructions males would get pairs, females small ones only.
                    Andreas,

I remember seeing a photo of Hitlers Secretary, Frau Schneider or Schroeder wearing a 30mm badge on the collar of her dress.
                    Last edited by ErichS; 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Hi Erich,

Perhaps you're referring to Christa Schröder? She was awarded the AH Honorary GPB on 30.01.38; she was already a fairly early NSDAP Member, holding Party #263009...which didn't entitle her to the numbered GPB.

Only two of Hitler's permanent private secretaries received the Honorary GPB -- Johanna Wolf, his senior secretary (who was also a Party Member, #157992, and who also received the Honorary GPB the same day as Schröder), and his second secretary, Schröder. Neither of the other two -- Dara Daranowski or Traudl Junge -- were so honored.

Br. James

Comment

If the reasoning behind initially awarding the GPB as a pair instead of a single badge was the likelihood that the member belonged to at least one uniformed organization (and perhaps more than one), then wouldn't that also have been the assumption for women, given the number of uniformed groups that existed -- civil as well as political?

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                          Hi Erich,

Perhaps you're referring to Christa Schröder? She was awarded the AH Honorary GPB on 30.01.38; she was already a fairly early NSDAP Member, holding Party #263009...which didn't entitle her to the numbered GPB.

Only two of Hitler's permanent private secretaries received the Honorary GPB -- Johanna Wolf, his senior secretary (who was also a Party Member, #157992, and who also received the Honorary GPB the same day as Schröder), and his second secretary, Schröder. Neither of the other two -- Dara Daranowski or Traudl Junge -- were so honored.

Br. James
                          James,

Thanks James and yes Christina Schroeder wore the 30mm honorary badge. MY point was that women were in fact awarded the large badge at least in this case.

Comment

James,

Thanks James and yes Christina Schroeder wore the 30mm honorary badge. MY point was that women were in fact awarded the large badge at least in this case.
                            Honorary GPB's were always awarded in pairs, to the best of my knowledge. Not so the regular GPB's. In 1935, Schwarze's circular would obviously refer to the latter.

Comment

So, Christa Schröder would wear the 30mm on her civilian clothing when doing her function as a secretary for uncle Adolf? I thought the größe Ausführung is for uniformed clothing, not for wear on the Zivilanzug?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X