Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This A Gold SA Sports Badge

Fellow Members,

A few months ago, I recently purchased this SA Sports Badge as a bronze version, receieved it, thanked the previous owner, put it away and forgot about it.

I've been sorting out my collection and eventually got around to grouping all my sports badges together.

On comparing it with a previous SA Sports Badge from Herr Niemann I could not help noticing that it was a bit more 'golden' than his.

I then compared it with a pair of bronze and gold DRA badges. The DRA gold badge was previously discussed on the forum and came out authentic.

Is the SA Sports Badge to the top right of the photos show a gold version or is is some sort of very light bronze?

Note that the pin is the same 'golden' colour as the badge.

As always, Thanking in advance...

Ooops, just noticed. It's a DRL in bronze but I think it will serve the same purpose.
    Attached Files

Any thoughts out there?

Is there a non-destructive test to establish if it has a gold finish or not?

Regards ...

Comment

It's hard to tell from the photos. I have both dark and light bronze examples, so the color did vary with time and from manufacturer to manufacturer. The actual gilt examples have a very bright gold painted/washed finish, like that used on KM badges.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

Pretty sure all four badges above are bronze (then again it could be the lighting) ... compare the color to my Gold DRL badge:

Comment

Hi Erich and Darrell,

Thanks for the input.

I'm happy that the DRA badge is gold having being discussed previously on the forum and well, it really does have a gold finish rather than bronze.

The 'gold' SA badge on the right is certainly closer to the gold DRA than the bronze SA and bronze DRL but, not as good as the gold DRA.

Looking at them in the hand I tend to think the SA could be gold but could certainly not swear by it. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my behalf.

Does anyone have a real gold SA badge and a very 'gold' bronze SA badge that they could post?

I understand gold SA sports badges are quite rare. Do we have any numbers of issue.

Again Erich and Darrell thanks for your input.

Regards ...

Comment

Originally posted by hagwalther
            Hi Erich and Darrell,

Thanks for the input.
            Regards ...
            No problem ... here are my silver and Bronze DRLs for comparison sakes:

And here is my Bronze SA Sports Badge:

Comment

It's Gold! Wahoo!

Even in bad lighting, you can tell the gold from the bronze.

Comment

Originally posted by Blut_Orden
                Even in bad lighting, you can tell the gold from the bronze.
                You don't have MY eyes there mate

Comment

HAHA! I have a great eye for detail. I can find double strikes easily on coins and screw ups on stamps......well atleast when I have one to compare it to. I play the "Where's Waldo" thing. The way I see the difference between gold and bronze is one is darker and bronze oxidizes and gold usualy doesn't, I think.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X