• Show
Clear All

From The internet...

Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

Militarverwaltung for everyone

Interesting badges...
      Norway- a country that was under civilian occupational administration known as Reichskommissariat Norwegen decided to create a badge for Militarverwaltung (Military Administration) Norway- an entity that did not exist in that country..

Can anyone explain this?

cheers

Matt
      Last edited by Matthew; 03-04-2015, 01:04 AM.

Comment

No one wants to tackle this one?
        Seeing that those pieces change hands at upwards of $500, I would think at least some (present owners?) would be interested in discussing the pieces.

As I understand, Norway was under civilian occupational administration with J. Terboven behind the wheel. Essentially the place was ran by him as a direct representative of the Fuhrer but had nothing to do with German Military.

There were few places where Military Administration was in charge:

- Belgien-Nordfrankreich (Militarbefehlshaber v. Falkenhausen, later M. Grase)
        - Generalgouvernement (v. Runstedt, later Blaskowitz)
        - Frankreich (v. Stulpnagel)
        - Griechenland

But Norway was not one of them.

Another question would be- did anyone ever see those badges from Greece or Poland (Generalgouvernement)? It would seem all we see are those three as pictured elsewhere in this thread. I have to say I looked for a little while with no luck. Not even one. And yet they had to exist. And be much more common that the Norwegian ones which by the looks of it, should not..

Scrolling through few threads on those, I noticed some who collect them are also the ones who like to do their own digging- did anyone do any sort of research into them?

cheers

Matt

Comment

one I just picked up.

William Kramer
          Attached Files
          Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blackbird939 View Post
            Would love to see one of these in wear...

My thoughts too. I don't think I've ever seen one of these in a period photo and would love to see that.
            Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
              My thoughts too. I don't think I've ever seen one of these in a period photo and would love to see that.
              Richard V
              Richard,

See above post #16

Best regards,
              RonR

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
                No one wants to tackle this one?
                Seeing that those pieces change hands at upwards of $500, I would think at least some (present owners?) would be interested in discussing the pieces.

As I understand, Norway was under civilian occupational administration with J. Terboven behind the wheel. Essentially the place was ran by him as a direct representative of the Fuhrer but had nothing to do with German Military.

There were few places where Military Administration was in charge:

- Belgien-Nordfrankreich (Militarbefehlshaber v. Falkenhausen, later M. Grase)
                - Generalgouvernement (v. Runstedt, later Blaskowitz)
                - Frankreich (v. Stulpnagel)
                - Griechenland

But Norway was not one of them.

Another question would be- did anyone ever see those badges from Greece or Poland (Generalgouvernement)? It would seem all we see are those three as pictured elsewhere in this thread. I have to say I looked for a little while with no luck. Not even one. And yet they had to exist. And be much more common that the Norwegian ones which by the looks of it, should not..

Scrolling through few threads on those, I noticed some who collect them are also the ones who like to do their own digging- did anyone do any sort of research into them?

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

When I was researching for my book on Wehrmacht female auxiliaries I found out that the breakout of occupation duties in Western Europe was not standardized. Holland was initially controlled by the Wehrmacht, while Denmark was the responsibility of the replacement army. Norway, Belgium and France excluding Alsace and Lorraine was placed under the control of the field army. The badges seem to correspond to those areas under field army control. At least that's the theory I put forth in the book. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by RonR View Post
                  Richard,

See above post #16

Best regards,

Thanks Ron. Not sure how I missed it. Sometimes I can't see the forest through the trees!
                  Richard V

Comment

I have one. Looks it good? I do not know about a lot , because usually only collect photographs . This , however, I have purchased from a reliable seller. Can anybody say how many hundred or thousands this kind of marks manufactured wartime?

Comment

As a warning: i've seen (and been offered) some of these badges lately at several militariafairs, some even cased. They look amazingly good but im pretty sure they are copies.

As a future prediction (yes why not?), i predict that a future book on these will be made the next decade and that more badges as we think of now are post war fakes. Maybe something along the line of Jo's TENO book.

For everyone: if you buy these, watch out, try to do your homework as good as you can and DON'T fall for the good looking badges (especially with cases) at the fairs. There well be some tears before bedtime regarding these badges for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by jabnus View Post
                        ....They look amazingly good but im pretty sure they are copies.

As a future prediction (yes why not?), i predict that a future book on these will be made the next decade and that more badges as we think of now are post war fakes. Maybe something along the line of Jo's TENO book.
                        Gaston, yes to the first, you forgot the words "almost all" - are copies.
                        And yes to the second as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X