Civilian Aircraft Industry Badge of Merit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civilian Aircraft Industry Badge of Merit

Another one that just landed- fresh out of bubble wrap- for your viewing pleasure- Aircraft Industry Badge of Merit.
    Awarded for merit in a production field of Aircraft Industry this award was only produced in a lapel size pin and pinback (too bad as a 'full size' award would be a great piece too). Introduced around 1937, it was awarded in two classes. Silver for merit in the industry and gold for outstanding achievement. It was regarded as a civilian decoration.
    cheers
    Matt
    Attached Files

question

And a quick question if I may- on the pic below- does it look like a gold version or silver? Looks gold to me but colors are not my strongest side (most men recognize 3 colors anyways- white, off-white and dark, lol)
    Your help is appreciated.
    cheers
    Matt
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Matthew:

Here is a gold example of the Aircraft Industry Badge of Merit. I have never seen another gold badge.

I think your badge is silver and heavily tarnished. If you removed the tarnish, your badge would just leap out. IMO, it should be cleaned.

If other members have a gold badge, how about a posting of the little golden eagle?
        Attached Files

Comment

great piece!

That's a gorgeous piece Gary. The "golden" one I posted is not mine- its just a pin I came across in my virtual travels but didn't look silver to my untrained eye.
          The silver one exhibits the usual silver tarnish but also the lacquer on top of it (its more obvious under the loupe) but appears unworn.
          Thanks for posting yours.
          cheers
          Matt

Comment

in hand

I have this piece in hand now but I'm none the wiser...I gave it a soapy overnight soak and wash in hopes of revealing either gold or silver finish and this is what I got...looks awfully bronze to me. Was thinking maybe its just a base metal void of finish completely but sure looks like the highlighted high spots and/or smoked crevices. Are those supposed to be stamped out of brass? bronze? Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the fact that it cleaned up this nice but the color throws me off a bit- gold does not tarnish and it's definitely not silver so...anyone??
            Thanks for your help,
            Matt
            Attached Files

Comment

two more shots

Attached Files

Comment

Silver?

Hi Matthew, my guess too would be a Silver Version of this Award.
                From what I see on Gary's, the outline of the Swaz is highlighted in Gilt.
                And yours appears to have the Swaz bordered in Silver enameling.
                Pete

Comment

hi

Hey Pete,

Are you talking about the first pin posted or last?
                  Oh, man, I'm even confusing myself here.
                  cheers
                  Matt

Comment

Who's on First, or last, to in the middle.

I guess I must be all over the place Matt. Isn't the first pin the same as the last or are there three separate pins being discussed?
                    Pete

Comment

last one posted

Glad to see I'm not the only one. The first one is definitely silver (with the remnants of some frosting). The last one posted (my last 4 pics) is the one that does not seem silver (or gold for that matter).
                      That is the one in question.
                      cheers
                      Matt

Comment

Ahhh, says the Wiseman.

Originally posted by Matthew View Post

Glad to see I'm not the only one. The first one is definitely silver (with the remnants of some frosting). The last one posted (my last 4 pics) is the one that does not seem silver (or gold for that matter).
                        That is the one in question.
                        cheers
                        Matt
                        Okay Matt, though I think I'm getting Colorblind.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X