Door plaque "juden sind hier unerwuenscht"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door plaque "juden sind hier unerwuenscht"

This thread is not to offend anyone, just to review and vet this artifact as period genuine as I collect ww2 signs.

I have this in the politcal thread but seeking ''badge or sign experts', perhaps here?

This brass sign comes from the widow of a former employee of the Stuermer publishing house.

It says "Jews are not welcome here" and is sized 150 x 110mm and 2mm thick, made out of solid brass.

It has the Sturmer logo on the reverse side.

Any feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Files

It's etched, and not very well. It's not the manufacturing style I would expect from a production item and it looks more like a home hobby type job to me. The logo on the back doesn't seem to make sense as it would not have been seen when the sign was mounted. For me, this is a post-war product.

Comment

Enamel signs and painted wooden ones can be found in photos but I have not found this type.

However, I stumbled on this article describing the official effort to have such signs removed from public view during the Olympic Games at Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Apparently, it took some doing with Hess and other high ranking NSDAP personalities trying to convince local Nazis to tone down the anti-Jewish propaganda. They were concerned about potential loss of Germany's national reputation, the Olympic ideal, and, of course, profit.

http://members.gaponline.de/alois.sc...ehr_2_1935.htm

Comment

Hi,

Have to agree here, this seems to be a post-war fantasy item.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Cheers, but going against the grain of comments I purchased the plaque. Eight plaques surfaced recently from an ex Der Sturmer employee's widow. After digging she located the original box which is pretty good provenance for the item being real.

The box is marked 'for loyal readers', which corroborates research conducted into Der Sturmer price lists which show no plaques were found for public sale.

The same source also earlier surrendered a handful of original sketches by Der Sturmer cartoonist Philip Rupprecht 'Fip's for the DER GIFTPILZ (Poison Mushroom) book, discussed here;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=636406

So other juicy circumstantial evidence besides the plaque on it's own two feet made me push the button...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by robs; 03-05-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

2. The box and a photo of one sketch.
            Attached Files

Comment

Fips sketch, which I have;
              Attached Files

Comment

Fips part 2
                Attached Files

Comment

sorry one more! from the Poisonous Mushroom...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fine

I think that you did fine Brother,Hell I'd love to have one myself! All the Best to you and Happy Hunting, Butch

Comment

Museum quality pieces - I am stunned!!!

What an amazing find!

Comment

From my point of view: authentic pieces,
                        probably prototypes...

Comment

nice.. and thats my favorite illustration from der giftpilz.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X