WHW Glass Famous Men and Glass Buildings tinnies question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHW Glass Famous Men and Glass Buildings tinnies question

I was wondering if anyone knew how many variations ie different colors there were in each set. What would the total number of glass men and buildings be including all their different colors? Mike

Hey Mike,

I think that there are so many different shades and milk colored pieces it would be near impossible to really say that there are 'X' amount of colors. I gave up long ago. I think that Tieste had some sort of color chart...but it is far from complete. I can say with 100% conviction that the Hitler piece was only made from clear glass.

Guy may have some sort of chart...but there really isn't any way in my opinion to say what colors each piece was made from.

Chrys

Comment

Agree

As CM mentioned too that I've seen only the White Cameos of Hitler which can also be seen with Hindenburg. I've got another of the Brandenburg Gate in Green Glass.
      Then there are the glass etchings of insects distributed to HJ members.

Comment

I knew the Hitler glass image only came in clear. The reason I was asking was I received a number of both lately and was amazed how many different colors there were that I did not have. I had thought I had a fairly extensive collection of them. Not sure which direction I will go with them now. All the different colors does look nice in 11 x 14" ricker mounts. Thanks for the help-I'll check out the tiestie chart. mike

Comment

Hi,

I think it is possible. How many colours are there? And how many different persons? I think it may very well be possible that all persons had an image in alle colours. Same for the buildings series. The round glass insects/animal series was only made in clear glass and is not needed to be discussed here.

As a sidequestion and kind off ontopic: if i may ask, i think i saw recenlty a samplepage of your book with the plastic cityweapons, are all the different colours for the cities badges mentioned in the book?

I have been collecting the buildings, glas heads and city weapons for quite some years, doing it the hard way, one by one... Especially the cityweapons i think to have far complete (think i miss only a few out of the if i remember correct 106 different ones!). Glas heads i have about 30 so thats already a nice indication, but i think there are many more. Buildings don't know, think i have a similar number.

It would be very interesting if this topic could be about all the different ones. If we all compare our collections we should be able to come quite far with an answer.

This promises to be a nice topic! Its quite late here, but ill dig up my badges tomorrow and make some pics.

best regards,
          Gaston

Comment

Hi Gaston, why not show pics or make a list here of the ones you have and then other can chip in with any missing items that they to complete the list? I think that would be a pretty good starting point to try and figure out how many their might be in total ... I have a couple of each and maybe, I have some that you do not have that I could add to that list? Sounds like your collection is pretty comprehensive, so to start with your collection would be better than people just chipping in with a couple here and there, as we would soon lose the overview ... tot ziens, Torsten.

Comment

Well I have 82 famous men-I'll list names and colors later and I have 51 buildings and will do the same with these. a modest start. Mike
              Attached Files

Comment

Well we thought long and hard before we did the book (first one on the WHW) and with our experience it just wasn't possible. I have handled hundreds of them through our shop and it is just mind boggling. You have to remember that there are many makers of these pieces and all it takes is a bit too much of this or than and now you have different shades and tints of colors.

Then you have some that are made of uranium glass...pretty rare to find actually. Most people would never know if they had a piece as they look like most of the other green ones out there.

I guess it would be possible with the help of all of the community...but it was a much larger process than we were willing to take on. And in the end I still don't think you could ever really say with 100% certainty that the list was accurate.

As for the question on the VDA city gates...we tried to get at least one color from all know colors. We tried to get a sample of the colors out there that are common (white, red, yellow) and some of the less common (grey, green, blue). The only one that we were not able to get was a purple one...I don't believe that I have ever seen a purple one myself.

In my opinion it stands to reason that if there are green or purple pieces out there they must have made full series in these colors...how many were made is the million dollar question (not many based off of what I have seen). If anyone has a purple one of these I'd love to see it!

Comment

Here is a piece made of uranium glass...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just thought it would be interesting to see what colors were out there. I too have sold many through my web store and ebay. Around a year ago I decided to see what different colors i came across. It has been fun to see what is out there-As far as the VDA plastic crests. I have used Tiestie's guide for colors. That is another area that can be fun to collect all the colors. Heck, all of them for the most part are inexpensive, available and fun to look for. I guess whatever ones likes are what they should collect. My wife likes to use the WHW and VDA tinnies on our goose feather trees at Christmas and she grabs all the flower WHW tinnies for the trees as well..

Comment

Mike, thats a very nice collection, you have almost doube as i have,

Also didn´t know of the uranium glass, thanks for the info.

Ill go and dig up mine after dinner.

Comment

First the VDA City weapons series. I found that the following cities had badges in different colours. Yellow, white, red and grey seem to have been made for all cities, but green and blue only for a few. Yellow, red and white are wide available, grey is hard to find. Green and blue very hard to find. I have encountered a few green Luxemburg ones over the years and think that at least 3 or 4 blue ones should exist. A purple one i've never seen. It would indeed be very interesting to see one.

- Bromberg
                        - Brunn
                        - Danzig
                        - Eger
                        - Eupen
                        - Graz
                        - Hultschin
                        - Innsbruck
                        - Kattowitz
                        - Klagenfurth
                        - Krakau
                        - Linz
                        - Luxemburg
                        - Malmedy
                        - Memel
                        - Metz
                        - Posen
                        - Prag
                        - Reichenberg
                        - Saarbrücken
                        - Salzburg
                        - Strassburg
                        - St.Vith
                        - Wien

As for the colours, here are the ones i've been able to add so far. I've seen a few i miss over time but at a certain point it gets harder to find that one missing piece of a certain city. Sometimes these are offered in groups of 10 or 20 at once, but buying a whole group to get a single one is not always possible. If anyone has a badge for sale or trade that is not on the below picture, i'd love to add it to the collection. Thanks.

Hope the shot under here is good enough, i tried to keep it quite big to be able to distinguish the city names.

best regards,
                        Gaston
                        Attached Files

Comment

Famous men series, after seeing Mike's group i think i miss a LOT of them. Please add any names and/or colours that are missing. This seems like a very nice challenge to discover all that have been made.

Names i found so far (probably incomplete list):

- Joh. Seb. Bach
                          - Beethoven
                          - Bismarck
                          - Blücher
                          - Albrecht Dürer
                          - Prinz Eugen
                          - Wolf. v. Goethe
                          - Friedr. der Grosse
                          - Adolf Hitler
                          - Holbein D.J
                          - Emanuel Kant
                          - Franz v. Lenbach
                          - Adolf v. Menzel
                          - Helmut von Moltke
                          - W. A. Mozart
                          - Friedr von Schiller
                          - Franz Schubert
                          - Freih. v. Stein
                          - Richard Wagner

Picture under her shows a black spot, i accidently moved a bright green Prinz Eugen there, to keep the names in alfabetical order i made it black just in case.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here are some of the "famous buildings/monuments" I have had. Not arranged by type or color, too lazy! As far as I know, the Kaiserpfalz Aachen one is only found in green, compared to the more common Aachen Rathaus which is in other colors as well.

Best,
                            Greg
                            Attached Files
                            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Some more, and the Kaiserpfalz Aachen one I have.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                              www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X