JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obscure Tinnie from Eger, Germany Help Please!!(Possible reference to Kristallnacht?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obscure Tinnie from Eger, Germany Help Please!!(Possible reference to Kristallnacht?)

Folks,
    First off, anyone know what this tinnie was for and secondly, isn`t the date on this tinnie the same date as Kristallnacht? Thanks!!
    Attached Files

It is rather "nine eleven"!

No, the (German) date is 11. September and not 9. November.

The badge belongs to the 15th exhibiton of dogs in Eger in Bohemia.

ZPB = Zucht und Prüfungsbund deutscher kynologischer Vereine in der Tschechoslowakischen Republk

Uwe

Comment

Hi Uwe,

I believe Chris' assumption is correct, as the domestic pogrom in Germany that came to be known as Kristallnacht was indeed on November 9-10, 1938. But the damage done on Kristallnacht was basically unplanned as it was a sudden and violent reaction to the murder of Third Secretary Ernst vom Rath of the German Embassy in Paris by Hershel Grynszpan, who took this action in retaliation for his family being evicted from their home and their possessions confiscated in Hannover the previous week, after which they were deported to Poland. They were apparently illegal Polish immigrants. When vom Rath died of his wounds on November 9th, two days after being shot by Grynszpan, his death provided an excuse for the massive and nationwide terror campaign against the Jews of November 9-10...which coincided with the annual Putsch commemoration in Munich. But the badge in question and the event it represented -- the national dog show in Eger -- must have been in the plans for a long while prior to November 9, 1938 and must be considered coincidental to both the Feldherrnhalle Memorial and the Kristallnacht events, though the use of "November 9th" -- which was a national holiday throughout Nazi Germany -- would have been purposeful on the part of the dog show planners.

Br. James

Comment

As the old saying goes: "Act in haste and repent at leisure!" As soon as I hit the "submit" key I reread Chris' note and looked again at the date on his badge. I am embarrassed to say that the event date on the badge was September 11, 1938, while Kristallnacht was November 9-10, 1938. Apologies all 'round!

Br. James

Comment

As Uwe says, its for September 11, 1938, not November 9th, so no connection with Kristallnacht, Putsch or pre-Nazi Nov. 9th German national days.

Comment

tinnie

Thanks to all for the info I should have known about the dates, but sometimes its the old age creeping in This tinnie is pretty cool, even has the original sticker on the back
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X