Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Madel Voren" Tinnie

Hi all,

My first posting here... Since my collection is 99.9% US items, I don't know much about German items. But I recently bought something because A) I thought it was uncommon, and B) because it was (I think) BDM-related. I have two other BDM items, a bread bag with strap that came with a leather knot scarf-slide and a photo (no name) of the owner in her uniform. My mother-in-law (81 and still living) was born in Munich and was a BDM member. She plays dumb whenever we ask her about it, and acts as though she can't remember anything about it, other than she wore a white blouse and a scarf. She states she has nothing left from those days, in terms of clothing, or anything else. She says she was away in Bad Reichenhall at a girls' school for the majority of the war. Her father was in the SS (he had a brush mustache, too!) I have no idea what unit he was in. She says he "drove a milk truck", but funny thing, he was imprisoned for 7 years at the close of the war, by the British and US - seems like an awfully long time for someone who just delivered milk Her brother, age 84, still lives in Munich and was in the HJ. We visit him every year, and it has taken him about three years to realize that we are not going to be judgmental of him - and finally, last year, he dragged out photo albums of family members during the war. There were several photos of one uncle who was in the Gebirgsjaeger troops and KIA on the Eastern Front. We took close-up photos of the photos, and they came out pretty well.
    Anyway, I digress!

I have tried my best to do research on this, and from what I have found, it has the "Lebens Born" rune on it, which links it to Himmler's program... Is that correct? I don't see any markings on the back - is this typical?
    Who would have worn this? I assume it would be a BDM girl - would it be one of the participants in the project, perhaps???

The tinnie is in the shape of an elongated pentagon, and has the words "Madel Voran" on the top.

Any help appreciated!!

Melanie

Last edited by grrrldoc; 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM.

I was always under the impression its' meaning is madels forward. I personally, without relying on any refernce material other than observation, would classify this as relatively uncommon yet fairly reasonably priced due to its' lack of a Haken Kreuz. They do appear from time to time but not everyday.

PS So your husbands' granfather was SS. Perhaps he can be researched. Others in this forum may be able to help you.. Do you know what prison he was held in? You could have a great time with this research-wise.

Comment

I just spoke to my Mother-in-Law today...I sort of casually asked her what "Madel Voran" meant. She said "Girl Forward" (she explained that if it were Madels it would mean the plural). I asked her whether she had heard of it in the context of BDM - but she had not. She said she was "just a young girl" when she was in the BDM.

As far as researching...well, interesting story. I wrote to a couple of people online who claimed to do research. Only one wrote back, and he told me I would have to know what regiment he was in to do anything. Maybe this year we can dare ask Uncle Kurt if he knows what regiment his father was in. As I said, the father had two brothers in the War. Franz was the one in the Gebirgsjaeger. I have a couple of nice photos of him in his uniform, with the edelweiss patch visible.

As I said, I go to Germany every year....Two years ago we went to the Stadt Archiv in Munich and met with a gentleman on duty there. The records are hard to get. When we asked about another uncle who was not in the War, but who had died under mysterious circumstances, he said that there are no death records kept. When we asked why not, he said with a shrug, "Germans think that why people die (in the sense of the cause of their death) is a private matter."

I'll never forget the first time I went to Uncle Kurt's house. They had one wall in a room with framed photos, etc. In the center of this was a framed Mutter Kreuz certificate. When they were pointing to the various framed items, one by one, they sort of just skipped right over that one as if it wasn't there!

Do you think that someone on the forum may be able to help with the research? I'd like to know more about both the grandfather and his brother...

Comment

There was also a magazin called "Mädel voran"

http://www.abebooks.de/servlet/BookD...%2Bder%2Bnsdap

Gerdan

Comment

In October 1935 there was a special action called "Mädel voran" to motivate young girls to join the BDM (Bund Deutscher Mädel) and work together:

http://www.jugend1918-1945.de/thema....#!prettyPhotoF[fotostrecke1121]/0/

Gerdan

Comment

tinnie

Originally posted by burgerhaus View Post
            I was always under the impression its' meaning is madels forward. I personally, without relying on any refernce material other than observation, would classify this as relatively uncommon yet fairly reasonably priced due to its' lack of a Haken Kreuz. They do appear from time to time but not everyday.

PS So your husbands' granfather was SS. Perhaps he can be researched. Others in this forum may be able to help you.. Do you know what prison he was held in? You could have a great time with this research-wise.
            As Robert said, these tinnies are quite uncommon, rarer than their HJ counterparts.

Comment

thread

very nice thread thanks for all the info

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Lee View Post
                As Robert said, these tinnies are quite uncommon, rarer than their HJ counterparts.
                Excellent news! I paid $125.00 for it, have no idea what these various tininess go for, I have been researching these, and some seem to be pretty cheap ($25 - $50) - did I overpay, or do OK?

Melanie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X