Stalhelm membership pin (1930)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalhelm membership pin (1930)

I have an opportunity to buy this membership pin but wanted to authenticate before I make an offer.

If this turns out to be a good one I believe the seller has a few others with earlier years. Is there a particular year that is more desirable? Thanks.

Sammy T.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The badge itself looks original but I'm not to sure about the engraving on the rear. I've never seen this style of engraving on these badges and this looks almost like a homemade, post 1945 addition. Don't know why someone would do this though as it really wouldn't add much value to one that had no engraving.
          Richard V

Comment

Stalhelm Badge

I agree with Richard, I have never seen this type of engraving, but in my opinion it would not increase the value that much to have it engraved and most of the later ones were not engraved. So with this given, I think it is fine, and I would not worry about the engraving. I would buy it as is. And some one might of wanted it engraved after the fact. But lets just say the style of the engraving is not what is usually seen. For whatever reason, it does not add or detract from the piece. In my Humble Opinion.
            Jack Neeley

Comment

Pin / Badge

I have not added a new one to my collection in almost a year. The hardest one to find is the 1918, I bought a 1919 and I paid a good price for that one. I still need a 1920, just off the top of my head, the older they are the higher the value. And 1930 is a late one, they only made them until 1932 and like I said the later ones more often than not do not have any engraving. But some of the earlier ones have what appears to be home made engraving, but you will see more than one that have the same home made looking engraving. The engraving on yours is just not what is usually seen on these pins. No harm, no foul (play)
              Jack Neeley

Comment

thanks for the review guys. I really appreciate it. I believe the seller might have a few others so I'll check them out as well.

sammy t.

Comment

Jack, I've been looking for a 1919 forever. I finally located a 1920 after some searching. How long did it take you to locate the 1919 and how much did you have to pay?
                  Richard V

Comment

strange abbreviation W.H.
                    Is not official anyway and not listed in the official list of abbreviations as noted in the "Bundesbefehl" Nr. 352 from the High Command. Wonder what it means and when it was done!
                    The A in the middle stands for Alpaca.

Comment

Hi Sammy,

I agree with what has already been said regarding the originality of your 1930 badge, though I too have never seen this odd block-letter style of engraving before. My collection includes every year's badge from 1919 through 1932 and all of them are engraved with inscriptions in the Cursive style. Also, all of my badges are engraved up through the end (1932), though I do have one or two duplicates without an engraving which I have assumed to be left-overs or unissued badges. I would imagine that Der Stahlhof would order massive numbers of each year's badge, given the huge numbers of new Stahlhelm members each year, and there logically must have been more badges made for each year than the number of admissions.

As has also been said, the earlier the year the higher the price and often the greater the rarity, as well. Having collected Stahlhelm Commemorative Badges for at least 30 years, my collection is still incomplete; I continue to be eluded by the 1918 badge (the very first year and, since the organization was founded at Christmas 1918, I assume that very few of these badges exist), which was only issued in the 35mm size; and the second issue of the 1920 badge in 30mm (1920 was the transition year when the Commemorative Badge was decreased in size from 35mm to 30mm, and both sizes exist).

Best of luck collecting these fascinating and historic artifacts!

Br. James

Comment

This may have been engraved from an original badge unmarked to attempt to raise the value , but I would say whatever "nimrod" did this engraving sure messed up the badges value, and due to this being a 1930, I'd pass till you find an accepted type engraved version, as this year is very common. UNLESS...the seller will take 50% off the price, and it isn't marked up 50% over retail to start. Anyway personally this is Not one i'd want to have . Nobody engraved these at home, I would assume the badge was personalized at time of purchase by the manufacturer as proof of ownership, and affiliation.

Comment

Is anyone willing to post a few pics of their pins so I can see what the engraving should look like? Also, if anyone is willing to give me a price range on these as I have searched online and don't see any for sale from the large dealers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sammy T.

Comment

Forgive me if I appear argumentative, but I believe the annual Stahlhelm Commemorative Badges were ordered in bulk from two or three primary manufacturers (as we have read elsewhere on WAF) and were delivered to Der Stahlhof in Magdeberg without any personalization or engraving on the reverse. I believe the individual engraving was ordered after the year's admissions were listed, since these badges were presented at an annual event. There were obviously a number of unengraved badges for each year, and these were probably held in reserve so that anyone needing a replacement or wanting a spare badge could order another of that year's date directly from Der Stahlhof, and these replacements or duplicates would be sent out unengraved.

I'm certain that we shall learn much more about Der Stahlhelm Bund and their attractive badges when Wim Saris' upcoming essay is published by Roger Bender in his "Military Advisor" -- I for one can't wait to read it!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X