Interesting tinnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting tinnie

This is really quite unusual as far as I know. A Stahlhelm tinnie from 1970!

Ever seen anything like it before?

Curt
    Attached Files

Hi Curt,

Yes, I agree that it is an unusual piece, one which I have never seen before...and I have been collecting Stahlhelm relics for many years. Der Stahlhelm, Bund der Frontsoldaten flourished from December 1918, throughout the years of the Weimar Republic and the first couple of years of the Third Reich, when it was absorbed into the SA. (Franz Seldte, who held the title Bundesführer, sold out his political organization when he accepted the post in Hitler's first cabinet as Reichsminister of Labor. Within a year Der Stahlhelm was no more.) During its heyday years it even had chapters here in North America, as well as elsewhere outside Germany. Following WWII Field Marshal Albert Kesselring was elected president of the re-founded Stahlhelm organization and remained in that position until his death in 1960. The tinnie you have is hard evidence that the organization continued after "Smiling Albert's" death, but I have no knowledge of whether it still exists today or really anything about it after 1960. Your pin is therefore most helpful and I thank you!

Br. James

Comment

Interesting also that the map outline (in 1970) includes Ostpreussen, and maybe Elsass-Lothringen as well. If I'm seeing it right.

Best,
      Greg
      sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
      www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I never even thought to look up whether it still exists today. I know that e-Bay Germany tosses any Stahlhelm items they catch. From German Google it seems it does still exist in some form.

Alt- und Neonazis und Teile der rechtsextremen Szene knüpfen bis heute auch an die Ideologie des Stahlhelms an. 1951 wurde in Köln erstmals versucht, den Stahlhelm auch organisatorisch wieder ins Leben zu rufen. Besonders der sogenannte „Bundesvorsitzende“ Günter Drückhammer war bis zur Enttarnung der Organisation im Jahr 2000, die insbesondere durch Waffenfunde auffiel, eine der aktiven Persönlichkeiten. An der Neugründung beteiligte sich auch Albert Kesselring. Seit 2006 ist Michael Hess aus Kaiserslautern neuer Landesvorsitzender des Stahlhelm, Rheinland-Pfalz

Curt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X